Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just for interest. Whenever there is a new build my insider machine invariably gets a defender update as well
One of mine did and the other didn't. Interestingly, the one that didn't seemed to have the biggest issue with the upgrade overall.
I figured that the missing defender update was just a matter of how I was constantly checking for the new build and the Defender update was acquired already as a consequence.
Yes and it should be stopped. When a new build is flighted only it should be downloaded.
I would tend to agree, in that the actual build should come as a discreet download independent of any other Windows updates for Defender or Office or anything else for that matter.
I still do not understand why it downloads/installs twice..
I've noticed that also and blamed it on the newer UUP upgrade process.
I figured the first stage was looking over my configuration and determining what it needed and the second stage was the actual download of what it needed...... bottom line.... IDK, I just wish the process was a bit more reliable overall and didn't introduce any new issues.
I'm not too happy with these last, most recent, two.
And amazingly.... the problems that I actually had, had nothing to do with the base OS, nor any real Win32 Applications.
Only problem was with the UWP Apps, like Weather, Store, Grove Music, etc.

None of this is overly troubling for me, as a clean install always fixes everything.....
AND
When this thing actually hits the street next month, I'll definitely be doing a custom clean install on my production machine.
Just to get back to that "new car smell".

I do have one and only one "pet peeve" with respect to custom clean installs and including "keep nothing" resets.........
WHY the heck can they not include a section for selecting your time zone.
You select a language and keyboard ..... why not include one more page asking for your current time zone.
I never remember that it defaults to US west coast time (PST) and when it finally catches my eye that I'm two hours off, I have to change it.
Sure would be nice to have that included within the "Setup" routine, like the old days.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The only apps I use are mail, calendar, weather and the hub. I will remove all the rest when this goes final.

Reaction score
Does uninstalling unwanted apps stop MS from downloading future apps updates?
Thanks!

Reaction score
Re Time zone. As soon as you have entered your location it knows your time zone. It knows the time and date from NTP so it knows where you are.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As soon as you have entered your location
I don't believe I have ever "entered my location" ever. Location is turned on by default and it uses my IP address to determine where I'm at but the system time does not reflect that knowledge or information.

Reaction score
I don't believe I have ever "entered my location" ever. Location is turned on by default and it uses my IP address to determine where I'm at but the system time does not reflect that knowledge or information.
Neither have I, they and The NSA know where you are.:)

Ask a Question