Adding text to photos

Reaction score
Is there no direct way to add text to photos? I'm on day 3 of Google searching and forum reading trying to divine the answer.
Not trying to do anything fancy here, no animation, just want to add plain text to photos. I can't. Not in Photos App or Pictures
file. The only answer I have found is to use Paint 3D. This is NOT the fix (more on that below).

Am I missing something? Is this really STILL not possible in Windows 10 (or 11)? How can MS be this far behind in the game??
I have downloaded batches of photos to my PC for marking. It never occurred to me adding text wouldn't be possible. Please, someone tell me i'm mistaken.

ALERT adding text in Paint 3D: I learned this the hard way; once you add text you can never move, erase or change it.

From Techwalla.com:
After text has been added to an image in Paint, it can't be deleted. You can, however, remove the text by painting over it or copying other portions of the image and pasting them over the text. Another option is to crop the image to remove the area that contains text.

From answers.microsoft:
How to Add Text in Paint 3D
  1. Step 1: Launch Paint 3D and open the image where you want to add the text.
  2. Step 2: Click on the text button in the top bar. ...
  3. Note: Once you click outside the text box, you won't be able to make any changes to the existing text even if it's a spelling mistake.

Reaction score
If using Paint or Paint 3d, save a copy of the photo (Save as...) before you start adding text so you always have the original in case you want to start over. Using either of these apps, you can undo the changes/text entries with subsequent CTRL-Z before you save the final photo.

Reaction score
Irfanview can add text to pictures as well as the Faststone products (i.e. Faststone Capture)

www.faststone.org

I personally use faststone capture to add text to pictures:

2022-07-20_183834.jpg

Reaction score
I've used MSPaint to add a text box along the bottom of an image to contain the address of a building in it.

Reaction score
It unbelievable that you need to open a completely different application and resave just to add simple text box. I would this is the most basic feature to include

Ask a Question