Deleting a user and adding a new user as owner of win 10

Reaction score
My wife is giving her PC to our granddaughter, is there a easy way to remove a my wife stuff and making the granddaughter to sole owner and use of the PC?

Reaction score
FIRST, add the granddaughter with Administrative Rights. What has worked for me several times is having saved/copied any necessary to an External USB drive reboot and choose the GD account then in User Accounts delete your wife's account. There will be a choice of deleting personal stuff or saving into a folder. Once that is done reboot. A caveat: may need to assign a password or maybe just sign out/log off will work, change user won't as it doesn't actually log out the current user.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, you need to add the Grandaughter as normal user then change to admin.
reboot to set GD as Admin see a)
You would have to perform the steps-

a) Login to your default account.

b) Click on the “Windows logo” and type “User Accounts”.

c) Now, select “Settings” and then select the “User Accounts” icon.

d) Click on “Manage another account” and then select the user account that you want to delete.

e) Click on “delete the account”.

f) Depending on whether you want to “Keep the files” or “delete the files” choose the appropriate option.

g) You can delete the other accounts similarly.

Note: Once deleted, the user accounts cannot be recovered. Make sure you back up any data if required.

Do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help. We, at Microsoft strive towards excellence.

Thanks.

Ask a Question