Aero & Gadgets

Reaction score
Something I'd like to see return in Windows 10 is Aero Glass-like Transparency around Windows, Start Menu, Taskbar, etc. and Gadgets... I like the clock gadget, Weather Gadget, and the CPU Meter Gadget, and such... I would like to see those features that were in Windows 7 reappear in Windows 10. Anyone with me?

Reaction score
Don't hold your breath with the Gadgets. I don't see them coming back. Not with security issues being the reason why they were removed.

As for transparency. the Taskbar and Start Menu has it. Only the window frames lack transparency.

Reaction score
Don't hold your breath with the Gadgets. I don't see them coming back. Not with security issues being the reason why they were removed.

As for transparency. the Taskbar and Start Menu has it. Only the window frames lack transparency.
I was told that security reasons were the cause od gadgets removed. Yet, I'd say it should be the user's choice, and that you just have to be smart as to what you download, as apps can be just as much a threat, you just have to watch what you download. I may find 3rd party software to run the gadgets, but I'd still like to get the Aero back on the Window frames...

Reaction score
' Gadgets. I don't see them coming back.' They never went away. Many users continued to have them, often via the Eight Gadget Pack and the Gadgets Sidebar. I have been using them since the
beginning of the year and will miss several of them if I am unable to use Gadgets. There has in fact been a major revival of interest, with the site Gadgets Revived offering over 900 of them! Some old, some new.

If there are genuinely security issues (and some folk doubt it) specifically associated with Gadgets then of course it should be taken seriously but that could / should mean dealing with the issues, not just scrapping Gadgets when there is clearly a lot of interest in them (see the numerous videos on YouTube).

Some questions: are the security issues related to certain Gadgets or to Gadgets in general? What are these issue?. Can they be remedied? Are they peculiar to Gadgets or similar to issues with other programs? Has anyone actually heard of a Gadget being the cause of a significant security problem?

clayto

Reaction score
They never went away.
You are confusing third party availability with never going away. Answer this! How could Microsoft bring back the Start Menu if it was never taken away? The Start Menu was taken away and yet there was third party options available as a substitute. There is no difference in the way Gadgets have been done. Except for the concept Gadgets will likely never come back as a part of Microsofts OS package. This doesn't mean they will not be available elsewhere as a third party application.

Reaction score
Precisely my point. They always were third party add ons were they not? Symantics?

clayto

Reaction score
Something I'd like to see return in Windows 10 is Aero Glass-like Transparency around Windows, Start Menu, Taskbar, etc. and Gadgets... I like the clock gadget, Weather Gadget, and the CPU Meter Gadget, and such... I would like to see those features that were in Windows 7 reappear in Windows 10. Anyone with me?
What about live tiles? Shouldn't/couldn't they be act like gadgets? Can they be placed on the desktop?

Reaction score
Gadgets will never come back.
I love my old weather channel gadget, and slide show one.
Still using them today on Win10.
If we bug MS with lots of feedback, anything is possible for a live update type tile, instead of gadget.

Reaction score

I do indeed miss Aero Glass. I think, once we give it some time, some theme developers will develop a working Glass update for Windows 10.

Reaction score
I'm trying to remember what aero is, or was.
The diagonal stripes, and blur, the transparency, with color.
Windows 10 personal settings has the transparent feature.
Looks like at the last moment, MS gave the aero blur, back in the start menu,
but kept the taskbar transparent, like windows 8, only darker color now.

I also see that the 3rd party Classic Shell Start menu, has settings to further adjust the taskbar to make glass, or "aero" look.
There was an addon program, I was using in Windows 8 that gave aero glass to windows. It was made by the strange name "Big Muscle"
For me aero, or no aero is ok, just the white top window border is bugging the heck out of me.
If only MS could have just made it a tiny bit darker shade of white.
I am always misjudging where the grab location is, for moving the windows around.

As for the gadgets, I'm sure the ones that come in the program are safe.
http://www.howtogeek.com/178869/how-to-add-gadgets-back-to-windows-8.1/
I think the history of it being removed is like this: There were some bad people who made gadgets, that were a security risk.
MS stopped anymore from being downloaded. Then MS wanted everyone to get tiles, as the start screen was the new desktop.
Now it's back to the real pc desktop. Who knows what's next.

Reaction score
Tried 10 and was VERY disappointed with no full aero implementation. In 7 there was a place/tool where you had a sliding bar to adjust exactly how much "transparency" you wanted! But what set me off was when I rebooted it asked me to log-in..????... I do not log into my refrigerator, my toaster, my washing machine or any other APPLIANCE in my house... BUMMER. Not doing 10 again until they do away with that and I really want my machine to look like I have it now (took it back to the Geek Squad and had it restored to 7)... glassy aero look and all.

Reaction score
I hear you loud and clear.
Glad that they could help you get back.

Here are my thoughts.
Logging in at work, or with a portable is good for security.
If it's a computer that is at home, and only used by one person, one has to weigh the good and bad points.
When I got Windows 8, entering a password each time was a nuisance.
I did like the optional picture password, as my brain has an easier time remembering points in a picture,
than the many passwords and pins these days. One day I got impatient, and googled how to auto login.
Works.

Everybody wants flat planes of color on the computer now. It is totally unnatural.
If I hold a book, sheet of paper in front of me, it's not flat.
There are so many undulations of brightness, color, shadows, perspectives--it's analog!
Reminds me when music synthesizers first came out. Everyone loved the sounds,
but after a while they sounded boring, as all they were, was just triangles, sawtooths,
and square waves, with filtering of the harmonics.
Gets boring very fast listening to that early electronic music.
Looks like we have come full circle on computers now.
Windows 10 is clean and boring. It's just a tool now, not a piece of art.

I didn't uninstall. Toughing it out.
Waiting for improvements.:)

Reaction score
"Everybody wants flat planes of color on the computer now"

Don't think so. That's part of why 8 was such a bust. BUTT UGLY. I don't do butt ugly....;-)))) So I stuck with 7 like most sensible other folks. Why when 7 was such a winner they decided to try and "fix it" have no idea.... 8 is not "modern" - it just doesn't work at all (my partner accidentally upgraded and HATES it. Had a geek friend come in and shut off the log-in feature somehow or other. Then had some 3rd party whatnot installed to make it LOOK like 7)....

Fellow at the Geek Squad who helped me reset to 7 said he wasn't gonna try 10 until October on his machines at home. Good luck with toughing it out...;-))))

Reaction score
Maybe they installed one of those themes. Some are ok and safe.
Others modify the systems files, so one can never reset back to what it was before.
Best to stay away from those lookalikes.

Win7 is one of the better operating systems, XP my favorite.
My brother said he is in no rush to upgrade.
I only upgraded his computer from xp to Win7, just a few months ago.
If he changes to Win 10 at all, he will wait close to one year, so all the bugs are fixed.
I was very happy with the performance of Windows 8, and even faster on 10.
Cheap too. 40 dollars intro offer for win8, free for Win10.
I should not complain so much.
There are a few good points with newer versions.

I have to tell you what happened before writing this.
Yes, laughing. Win 10 just restarted from an upgrade. Could not use computer for at least half an hour,
Desktop was frozen, but the hard drive light flashing. Did a manual restart after seeing no activity.
Working again, thank goodness.
Toughing it out. I have three different os, each on a separate slide in hard drive.
If one goes down, I just boot up another, and my important info is on two other drives.
I expect there will be problems this early, and playing it safe.
I'm in a better position than most people. I should be able to ride out the storm.
Nice conversing with you.

Ask a Question