SOLVED All my user account and user folders suddenly got moved to C:\Users\...

Reaction score
Hello,

I have Windows 10 on my desktop computer. Today I switched the computer on and my desktop was blank.

The computer moved all my files from the desktop and all my files is the user folders into this location C:\Users\DH. (DH is the name of my account). The computer also removed all of my settings, for example Outlook settings and so on.

It looks like the computer moved all my account into that folder C:\Users\DH. I am logged in this account (I have no other one) but there's a blank desktop and no settings of mine. Everything is moved there.

Is there a way to solve this strange situation? I didn't lose my data, which is good. But can I get back to my account and to all of my settings, such as Outlook and everything other? I need to tell the computer to give back my account.

Reaction score
You say the DH folder is your user folder. That is where the files should be for your user profile.

I don't know what happened to your settings but where were the folders before they were moved to the DH folder?

Reaction score
You say the DH folder is your user folder. That is where the files should be for your user profile.

I don't know what happened to your settings but where were the folders before they were moved to the DH folder?
I think they were always there. The problem is that now if I open Documents or Downloads, they are empty. My data only appear when I browse into C:\Users\DH\... So it seems that my account got "deleted". But not really deleted, but moved into some folder. I'd like to reinstate my former account with all the settings and so on.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think they were always there.
Where are they located now?
Open File Explorer, expand This PC, right click Desktop, choose properties, select the location tab.
Where does it say that it is currently looking for your Desktop folder?

Reaction score
Where are they located now?
Open File Explorer, expand This PC, right click Desktop, choose properties, select the location tab.
Where does it say that it is currently looking for your Desktop folder?
Now the Desktop folder is located under C:\Users\TEMP.DH-pracovna. So it looks like this is the problem. And I don't know why it is TEMP.DH-pracovna and not just TEMP.DH. Perhaps DH-pracovna is an alternative name of the account. (I'm not sure, it is my father's computer.)

Reaction score
My father talked to a computer man via phone. The man said it can easily be repaired. I think he will come on Monday to repair it. If I will get to know how he does it, I'll write it here on the forum. Now you can consider this solved. Thank you for help : )

Reaction score
OK, the computer's ready now. We don't know the details, but the problem was that every time we turn on the computer, a completely new profile was created, every time a completely new Desktop was created and so on. By the way, we had Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10. Now the cumputer repairer reinstalled the Windows 10. So the computer is reinstalled, that's how it ended up :)

It was a strange problem indeed. It might have happened after some actualization of Windows 10. Anyway, I think these general kinds of problems are inherent to Windows 10. I have another computer, a laptop with Windows 10, and sometimes all the icons on the desktop are rearranged. This is Windows 10. I think we all should have stayed with Windows 7, until the Windows 10 bugs are cleaned. Windows 10 is a new system and not problem free yet.

Ask a Question