Apologies and Thankyou!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Over the past day, this forum has been a target for spammers posting jibberish posts on the forum. @Trouble has put in heroic efforts to delete as many as possible - thank you!

I'm currently visiting friends so have had limited access compared to normal - so the fix hasn't been put in place as quick as I'd like to have done it. The registration spam filter has been tweaked to include some of the common traits that these spammers use, to block them before being able to post.

I'm sorry if it has been more difficult to browse posts because of these troublesome posters over the past day, and a big thank you to @Trouble for keeping so many from appearing (over 500, to put it in to context!).

Reaction score
It amazes me to see the huge volume of posts which the moderators and notable members as well as new members field each day. And then to handle a travesty like the recent spam event so quickly is just over the top. Thank you all for your continued efforts.

Last edited:

Bif

Reaction score
Three cheers to all the moderators and administrators for the outstanding job they all do on this forum!!!

Reaction score
I don't know why but I haven't seen any obvious spam messages. But I do admit to using Adblock.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Flattering to know that we've actually become attractive enough to warrant a spammer or two.
I was beginning to think they didn't like us.

Reaction score
Finally got a little action didn't you trouble. How many IDs were there total? I think I remember counting 3.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not sure, but I don't think there were actually that many. If I had to guess, maybe a half dozen or so.
They just caught me taking a break and got ahead of me a bit. Took me a while to catch up.

Bif

Reaction score
index.jpg

Reaction score
Well. They came again today. at least one page. For me, the first attack left three pages!!
My neurotic theory is it is someone who is upset with the responses, a banned member, or:::: a knowledgeable member of another forum trying to discourage our members . lol

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had a look and it looks like there were members that registered before the new anti-spam updates were in place - so they're using accounts that were in before the lock. I'm going to go through and see if I can spot any others that came in under the radar :).

edit: Just saw one user that registered today, so I'm going to have to tighten them further.

Reaction score
Well. They came again today. at least one page. For me, the first attack left three pages!!
My neurotic theory is it is someone who is upset with the responses, a banned member, or:::: a knowledgeable member of another forum trying to discourage our members . lol
I think it is a child with nothing better to do than cause trouble. Our Forum is at the top of the list if you search "Windows 10 Forum" so is an obvious target. It would be interesting to hear from the other Windows 10 forum regarding recent spam. And thankfully it is just spam and not a serious hack.

Reaction score
I just checked at the other Windows 10 forum and a moderator replied that although they get spam and remove it quickly they have not had a recent incident. They are actually at the top of the list after a Google search for "Windows 10 Forum" followed by this forum.

I logged in there and was immediately reminded why I avoid that forum. I will not go into details but would say that this is a far better forum.

Bif

Reaction score
I have a suspicion that it's an "inside job" with a disgruntled ex-member that craves attention..stay diligent my good men..they'll get tired of being ignored soon enough.

Reaction score
Must be someone that left of their own free will. Because Ian's crew only kicks as a last resort. And if that is the case, there is little reason for them to be disgruntled. To be honest I think it was just a coincidence and was the holiday season catching us with our pants down.

Heck I even left Ian's forums for a bit myself, needed time to cool off. That had nothing to do with the staff though, in fact I was part of the staff at the time. I can't imagine anyone taking the time to spam hundreds of threads from different accounts out of spite. But then I'm not a juvenile anymore either.

Reaction score
I just checked at the other Windows 10 forum and a moderator replied that although they get spam and remove it quickly they have not had a recent incident. They are actually at the top of the list after a Google search for "Windows 10 Forum" followed by this forum.

I logged in there and was immediately reminded why I avoid that forum. I will not go into details but would say that this is a far better forum.
I know exactly, why. I am a member and rarely visit!