SOLVED bash 'du' disk usage vs. windows 'size on disk'

Reaction score
I got the bash shell up and running on my Win10 desktop and was playing with the various Linux commands. I figured Win10 and Linux might see disk usage differently, but I was surprised at this one. My "Program Files (x86)" folder shows 15T of disk usage using the 'du' command, but 28.0GB in Windows (see attachment). My hard drive is only 2TB. Anyone know what this is about?

Attachments

• Capture22.JPG
    Capture22.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 654

Regedit32

Reaction score
At a guess I'd say what is going on there is the DrvFs is reporting total number of blocks uses by each file which will results in incorrect reporting for File sizes.

Microsoft have been aware of an issue with Bash since April and have intentions on releasing a bug fix for this during the Insider program to attempt to get a permanent resolution.

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I suspect you are correct. I know almost nothing about how Linux handles files systems (had to look up DrvFs) under Win10, but I copied a directory of files to my /~ folder, did a 'du -a -b', and the byte counts matched exactly between windows and Linux (except for 4096 per folder additional for Linux). Thanks!

Ask a Question