Batch deletion of JSONL files

Reaction score
Why does a batch file saying 'del C:\Data\Firefox\Bookmarks\ /q' not delete the JSONL files from \bookmarks\ ?

Reaction score
How can that be ? when \bookmarks\ contains
bookmarks-2023-08-09_395_7O3vt8AXoximq6uU+GKclA==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2023-08-19_396_v+eUP2WLXqgEQwwMCttOIg==.jsonlz4

Reaction score
*.json is just an example of what extensions are and the * is a wild card, goes back in computing history for a few decades. The lines you show are what a file name looks like with the .jsonlz4 being the extension which would be used with the asterisk as in *.jsonl4 when wanting to delete all of the file of that type at once without having to type the full file name. The *.* would be used when wanting to delete all the files in the folder at once regardless of the name.
bookmarks-2023-08-09_395_7O3vt8AXoximq6uU+GKclA==.jsonlz4
bookmarks-2023-08-19_396_v+eUP2WLXqgEQwwMCttOIg==.jsonlz4

Reaction score
Why does a batch file saying 'del C:\Data\Firefox\Bookmarks\ /q' not delete the JSONL files from \bookmarks\ ?
Not sure why you are complaining about it. Your computer does exactly what you told it to, deleting the jsonl files from the folder. Of course, they do not exist. what you should have written is *.jsonlz4 or *.jsonl??
It it all about the the syntax...

Reaction score
Bighorn - that is exactly how I understood the situation to be, but 'DEL' does not succeed.

Grizzly - shouldn't *.* cover that ?
del C:\Data\Firefox\Bookmarks\*.jsonlz4 /q
also does not work.

Reaction score
The source of those files was C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\AppData - the ones I want to delete have been copied from there. The current location is C:\Data\Firefox\Bookmarks\

Reaction score
The source of those files was C:\Users\USERNAMEHERE\AppData - the ones I want to delete have been copied from there. The current location is C:\Data\Firefox\Bookmarks\
That could be the problem, they may have to be moved back to the original location first. But maybe 'take ownership' will work.

Reaction score
'Take ownership' is NOT needed for manual deletion, so I suspect it should not be needed for deletion by batch either.

If there were a SIMPLE method to 'take owneship' by batch file, I'd consider it, but I doubt if that is the case.

Ask a Question