SOLVED Cannot get sharing from laptop to desktop, but desktop to laptop works

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you certain that the desktop does not have or hasn't had any third party security suite installed.
Sometimes, even if you uninstall such programs
will not allow me to access the desktop from Network
What is the exact message you are receiving?
Are you getting an access denied?
Are you getting a could not connect to?
Are you getting a could not be displayed?

Is there a potential problem with credentials?
Are you using the same account name and password on both (exactly)?
You may want to check
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager
Under Windows Credentials on the laptop and see if there is an entry for the desktop.

Reaction score
access is denied. I've already typed out the messages in above replies. I checked and have credentials for the laptop.

I've had it for today. Thanks for the input and suggestions. Nothing has worked so far.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you are getting "access denied" then it is almost certainly a credentials problem.
On the laptop, in the credential manager, expand the credential for the desktop and remove it and start over trying to access share from the laptop that exist on the desktop.
In the credential prompt be sure to enter the user name and password of a user that exists on the "desktop" which is hosting the share, that has permissions to access those files from the network.

Reaction score
OK Last time for today - when I try to see the files on my desktop from the laptop - it says the files are not accessible. Thanks for your help. Credentials are both fine. Have a blessed evening. I'm tired of messing with this for today.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK.
When you manage to get back to it.....
On the desktop create a new folder, call it TestShare.
Inside that put a couple new text documents or drop a picture or two into it.
Now Right click it and choose properties
Select the sharing tab and then click the advanced sharing button
Check the "Share this folder" checkbox at the tope and then click the "Permissions" button
Make sure that the "Everyone" group is present and highlighted and then check the "Full Control" box under the "Allow" column

Capture.PNG

OK your way back out of there and select the "Security" tab.
Make sure that "Authenticated Users" is present and selected and make sure that they have "Full Control" checked under the "Allow" column.

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
I just went back and checked my folder on the desktop and went to properties/security and lo and behold - "Authenticated Users" is not there! Here is what is showing!
1: System,
2:Jim McCants (jim1939@;lowcountry.com)
3: HomeUsers(JIMDESKTOP\HomeUsers)
4: Administators (JIMSDESKTOP\Administrators)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Click the "Edit" button, then the "Add" button
Then "Advanced" and "Find Now" and select it from the list and make sure it has "Full Control" under the "Allow" column

Reaction score
After 2 1/2 days of frustration, I reformated the laptop and put a clean Win 10 Home on it. Still no joy with seeing the printer. After about 3 hours of playing with every setting I could think of - JOY. It finally saw the printer with my desktop. Don't know what the 'magic bullet' so to speak was, but it now works! The last thing I remember working with was all the setting for 'servers'.

Thanks to you, TROUBLE for your advice on what to try. Appreciate it very much.

Reaction score
BTW - still can't copy from laptop to desktop! Not going to worry about that - at least can print from laptop! Have a blessed day everyone!

Ask a Question