SOLVED Cannot get sharing from laptop to desktop, but desktop to laptop works

Reaction score
I'm trying to get sharing between both computers - including printing from the laptop. No dice! My printer is USB to desktop, shared. Worked before, but had to reformat the laptop and re-install everything. Laptop is Windows10 Home, desktop is Windows 10 Pro -- both are 64 bit. I can copy anything from the desktop to the laptop, but not vice versa. The laptop shows the Network and Workgroup and will not allow me to access the desktop from Network. Both computers show up in Network and in Worgroup. Does anyone have any idea as to how to get this working as it should?

Thanks for replying!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is there a third party security suite running on the Desktop that may need to be tweaked to trust the Network / Laptop / Laptop User?
Are you getting a credential prompt when attempting to connect to the desktop from the laptop?
Are you getting any access denied errors?
When you
had to reformat the laptop and re-install everything
Have you brought both the Desktop and the Laptop installations to the most recent versions of Windows 10 Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.413)?

Reaction score
Sorry Trouble, I did not see the first 3 questions. Question 1: on Defender 2: no 3: just get the message that the desktop computer can not be accessed -- this is via Network or Workgroup

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I will assume that you are actually sharing something on the Desktop computer, so.....
Determine the IP address of the Desktop.
Just run a command prompt and type ipconfig and hit enter
Make a note of the IPv4 address, then.....
From the laptop, open the run dialog box (windows logo key + R key) and in the run dialog box type
\\192.168.1.222 (where 192.168.1.222 is the actual IP address you have found for the desktop).
hit enter and see what comes up
Additionally make sure you can ping the IP address of the desktop from the laptop and make sure you can ping the NetBIOS name of the desktop from the laptop.

Reaction score
Got the IP address of desktop, pinged the laptop and everything was good. Went to laptop and pinged desktop and everything was good. Pinged the desktop name from laptop and it was good.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So when you unc'd to the IP address of the desktop from the laptop what happened?

NOTE: UNC "Universal Naming Convention" as in \\IPaddress or \\NetBIOSname run from the run dialog box as described above

Reaction score
Whenever I try to access the desktop (from the Network or Homegroup) I get the message that it cannot access the desktop.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It showed the ping and total time was 2ms
What is the IP address of the desktop?
Put that into the run dialog box
Right click the start button on the laptop and from the context menu choose "Run"
In that Run dialog box type
\\IP Address of the Desktop
That's going to look something like \\192.168.1.222 but will likely be unique to your particular network schema.
and hit enter
wait a minute and see if you get an error

Reaction score
Trouble - here is what I get whenever I try to access the desktop from the laptop.
with explorer showing the Network - I see my desktop and her laptop. Whenever I try to access my desktop from laptop in the Network - it shows nothing and I get this message.
" \\jimsdesktop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact administrator of this server to find out if you have permissions.
Logon Failure: the use has not been granted logon type at this computer"

Now from the laptop accessing the desktop from the Homegroup - it shows all the directories that I have shared. But will not show any files in these directories!!

Here is the message when trying to access through Homegroup:
"J\\imsdesktop\directory\ is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource."

I have "shared" everything I know to share with all permissions.

Thanks for the interest in helping!

Reaction score
My printer is connected to the desktop via USB and my laptop is connected via wireless from our router. The router is hardwired into the desktop.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Stop pinging. It seems that your ping responses are fine.
I've asked you now to UNC to the desktop from the laptop
Just open the run dialog box and in it just type
\\192.168.1.31
and hit enter or click OK

Reaction score
I just did as you said. It showed all of the directories that I shared on the desktop - BUT - will not show the files. The same error message showed up as I posted above.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Pick a share name (one of your folders that you have shared) and include that into your UNC path
\\192.168.1.31\FolderName (where FolderName is the name of a share)
Pick one without spaces for the purpose of this test
See if that opens that shared folder and exposes its' content.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Try this as a temporary test to see if there is something going on with SMB
Do this on both computers
Go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features
In the left column of that window click the link that says "Turn Windows features on or off"
Scroll down to SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
Check the box and click OK
Reboot and make sure to bring the desktop up first.
Double check and make sure that the "Computer Browser" service is running on both.
services.msc
in the run dialog box

Ask a Question