Cannot save files to USB stick - Bitlocker issue

Reaction score
Hi,
My desktop work PC has just been upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. My home PC is WIndows 7 Professional.

I have spent 2 years copy/pasting files (Word, MP3s etc) form my home pc onto USB dongle to put on PC at work to work on/edit. Then copy the edited files back onto the USB dongle and take them home to transfer to my home PC. I have had no problems until today when the work PC has been software upgraded to 10.

I can copy/paste the USB files from home Win 7 PC to the work Win 10 PC but once changed/edited, cannot save them back to the USB dongle, it says I need to encrypt the USB dongle with bitlocker to enable writing files to it. The problem is I cannot access them at home as WIn7 Pro doesn't have bitlocker on it. I tried to upgrade my home PC to Win 10 but it screwed it up so had to revert back to my Win 7 pre-upgrade backup.

Is there any easy fix to save files from my Win 10 PC to USB to put on my Win 7 PC.

Win 10 says bitlocker on the PC is turned off?

thanks
Carl

Reaction score
Know nothing about Bitlocker, my experiences with encrypting back 30 years ago wasn't good so I stay away from such.

Problems with Thumb drives are difficult, when I see them uncorrectable I go to a new-in-the-package drive, they are not expensive but differing pricing according to capacity.

Reaction score
Although I do not know nothing about bitlocker (never used it), instead of using a thumb drive I would use a portable external drive like the WD elements or passport (which I use frequently) or you make your own with a SSD and a casing. The possibilities are almost endless.
However, as far as I know, bitlocker is an option, not a must unless your work pc is setup that way.

Ask a Question