Cannot save files when logged on as Administrator

Reaction score
I verified that I am logged on as the Administrator, but the system will not allow me to save files into any folder. Can only save to desktop.

Reaction score
This happened to me about a month ago.
Like you I was the Admin and the only user in the system.
Like you I could not save anything to anywhere except the desktop. After that, I could drag the item from desktop to any folder I wanted. Weird.
It soon revealed that it was a "permission" issue.
I cannot remember the exact steps.
So, I will need to ask your input and I'll need your reply before I can continue. Ok ?

Let's choose Pictures folder as an example.
Go to File Explorer > click This PC > right click at Pictures folder > click Properties > at the top, click Security.
Now, question ..................
under Groups or usernames, do you see a Users entry ?

Reaction score
C;\Users\Catherine\Pictures\Capture.jpg You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Pictures folder instead? Yes or No

Then when I say yes and do it again the same message comes up. Also does it with every other folder inside the Pictures folder

Reaction score
C;\Users\Catherine\Pictures\Capture.jpg You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission. Would you like to save in the Pictures folder instead? Yes or No

Then when I say yes and do it again the same message comes up. Also does it with every other folder inside the Pictures folder

I am afraid you have not answered what I asked.

I said........................
Go to File Explorer > click This PC > right click at Pictures folder > click Properties > at the top, click Security.
Now, question ..................
under Groups or usernames, do you see a Users entry ?

Reaction score
SYSTEM
Account Unknown
Home Users
Administrators

OK. click Home Users.
Now, under Permissions for users heading, first 2 entries are Full Control and Modify. Yes ?
If yes, are the first 2 boxes over to the right blank (unchecked) ?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Go here
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
Download "TakeOwnership.zip"
Extract it and double click "Install TakeOwnership.reg"
Answer any prompts (possibly two) in the affirmative.
Now go here
C:\Users\YourUserName\
Right click a problem container (directory / folder) let's start with "Documents"
Choose "Take Ownership" from the right click context menu
Answer the prompt in the affirmative
and give it a minute or two (depending on how much is there) to complete.
Now for the somewhat more difficult step
When it is complete (the DOS windows has disappeared....

Right click the Documents folder again and choose properties.
From along the top choose the "Security" tab.
In the box titled "Group or user names:"
We want to explicitly grant your "User name" full control to that directory, sub folders and files, so......
Click the "edit" button just underneath that box.
In the resultant windows click the "add" button
Click the "Advanced" button
Click the "Find Now" button
In the "Search results" box at the bottom find and double click your User Name
Click OK
Now select your user name and examine your permissions in the box labeled "Permissions for Your User Name"
By default they will generally be only " Read & Execute, List folder contents and Read"
We need to change that by checking the box at the top of the left column under "Allow" "Full control"
AND click OK

Unfortunately we are not completely finished.

Now click the advanced button again
Select your user name from the list
Click the "Disable inheritance" button
Select the "Convert" option from the prompt Window.
Now.....
Check the box at the bottom that says
"Replace all child object permission entries with inheritable permissions entries from this object"

That will cascade all your changes down to sub folder and files.
Answer the prompt in the affirmative when asked if you are sure.
And may take a while also depending on the amount of data present.
Click OK
Again if any prompts are presented, answer in the affirmative. While OK'ing your way back out of any and all open windows or dialog boxes.

Now we're done and if you've been patient enough to follow all of the above correctly you should now be able to save to, and or edit, anything in your documents folder.

Ask a Question