Can't backup larger files to flash drive

Reaction score
I'm trying to backup some of the files on my laptop hard drive to a flash drive stick. The smaller files do ok, but files over 300 MB, or groups of files that total over 300 MB (when copying more than one at a time for example coping a folder) don't copy. The file system on the flash drive has been reformatted to NTFS, but files over 300 MB; for some reason still don't work.

It SEEMS like the larger files are copying onto the flash drive, and when I inspect it, the files on the flash drive are the right size (500 or so MB), but for some reason they don't work, and act like the file size is zero.

I also tried adding more virtual memory, and didn't have any luck with that either.

Smaller files work fine, but 300+ MB files for some reason don't work.

Help!

Reaction score
it is wired. I only know that fat32 will not work with files larger than 4GB. Are you sure your flash drive formatted as NTFS?

Reaction score
I'm sure the flash drive is formatted to NTFS. As a matter of fact, In an attempt to diagnose this trouble, I've reformatted it several times, because each time I reformat it, the larger files copy fine for a while. For example, immediately after the last time I reformatted it, I was able to copy a folder from my hard drive to the flash drive that contained 28 files, with a total size of 5.35 GB. And that worked fine. But as I continued, and copied other folders and files, the file size that would copy dropped, and now the largest one I can copy to the flash drive is approximately 300 MB.

Ask a Question