SOLVED Can't type password to log in to Windows 10.

Reaction score
I figured it out, apparently somehow my keyboard broke, and was pressing something down or... Something. Simce I technically hadn't unplugged it and just plugged the second one in the problem persisted. Once I rebooted my machine with the bad keyboard unplugged the machine ran fine.

Thank you a for your help! Now to figure out why my newish keyboard was broken!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up. Glad you figured it out.
I'll try and remember to change my suggestion to try another USB wired Keyboard in another USB port to.....
Remove the problem keyboard and then try another USB wired Keyboard in another USB port.

Reaction score
Thanks, I will try the battery thing later tonight after work. I used a flash drive to attempt to boot into the recovery options but it didn't load when plugged in (the same drive I have used on another windows 10 machine quite successsfully... Sort of), apparently the uefi boot needed to be disabled, and secure boot in the bios setup as well, and I had to enter device options and disable that and enable legacy boot options, but when I did all this it booted into a dos prompt and I had no idea what to do there. I tried to download a new recovery tool but my roommate only had a linux machine and I couldn't figure out what I needed to do to install the tool, and neithee could he.

Are you able to use the on screen keyboard? i also cannot type the login password on my Windows 10 laptop. HP.

Ask a Question