SOLVED Can't type password to log in to Windows 10.

Reaction score
Hello,
This started with a new update which I have been putting off for days. I get to the log in screen and I can't type my password in, only backspace, enter, caps lock, number lock, and the i key seem to work. I am using a dell xps 8900, it is still pretty new. I am using a usb keyboard and I have tried a new, unopened, usb keyboard and the same problem persists ( all the same buttons work on both keyboards). I cannot seem to open the ease of access button below, and I can't use the shutdown button to reboot into some other mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My suggestion would be to go to the Dell Support website http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19
Plug in your specific Service Tag Number and .....
Install pertinent drivers for your machine, paying particular attention to BIOS, Chipset, Storage Controller(s), etc.
I am using a dell xps 8900, it is still pretty new.
It might be something you would want to involve Dell Tech Support in directly, perhaps it's a condition they are familiar with and might have a solution on hand for you.

I might also suggest trying alternate USB port(s) (front and rear) to see if any magic happens.
Additionally, you might try booting the system into Safe Mode with Networking to see if it behaves the same way
https://www.windows10forums.com/articles/safe-mode.3/

Reaction score
Are you able to use the on screen keyboard. On my laptop, it is bottom right. I use two languages, and, by default, it shows DK, so yours could be different.

Reaction score
Are you able to use the on screen keyboard. On my laptop, it is bottom right. I use two languages, and, by default, it shows DK, so yours could be different.
On the login screen, there are only icons for wifi, ease of access, and power. Could this be malware causing this?

Reaction score
I would not say so. As Trouble suggests - you may need USB and/or keyboard drivers
As far as rebooting:
Just hold down the power button on the keyboard for a couple of seconds (If it works??) The machine will then power off and you can try a reboot.

Reaction score
I can't activate either the "ease of use" or "shut down" options. They are there but I can't get any response by clicking on them.

Reaction score
I called Dell. It is a bad keyboard. Mailing it back to them for repair.

This is happening to two of my keyboards, the one I was using, and a completely new one. The same problem for both, plugged into different USBs, so I don't think it is the keyboard, but thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are the keyboards that you've been using to further diagnose the issue true USB keyboards? That is...... is there a wire directly from the keyboard that you are plugging into your computer?
I noticed that on the Dell site, that they offer a wireless option for this computer which commonly involves a USB wireless dongle that supports either Bluetooth or RF input devices

Reaction score
I would not say so. As Trouble suggests - you may need USB and/or keyboard drivers
As far as rebooting:
Just hold down the power button on the keyboard for a couple of seconds (If it works??) The machine will then power off and you can try a reboot.

Which is the power button on the keyboard? I would love to try this if it can be done, since I can't do the thing where I press shift and click "shut down" to reboot properly.

Reaction score
Are the keyboards that you've been using to further diagnose the issue true USB keyboards? That is...... is there a wire directly from the keyboard that you are plugging into your computer?
I noticed that on the Dell site, that they offer a wireless option for this computer which commonly involves a USB wireless dongle that supports either Bluetooth or RF input devices

Both keyboards are wired and were plugged i to different USB ports.

Reaction score
What Key do you use to start? It is normally one sitting alone on the far right.
How long have you been using this computer, surely you have switched it on from time to time?

I am presuming you are the owner and main user,, but it is beginning to look like the computer has been locked out by an Administrator/user.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think, since your keyboard is not working to the extent that it doesn't support any typical input that you might use for such things as evoking some Advanced Troubleshooting Options.
Your only recourse might be to boot from the installation media (either DVD or USB Thumbdrive) and from there, use the Repair your PC link on the second page to see if you can then use the Advanced Troubleshooting Option to get to Startup Settings and from there reboot the system into Safe Mode with Networking and see what happens.

Having some experience with weird behavior with Dell Desktops (more with their OptiPlex offerings and not so much with their XPS systems......
I would shut the computer down, unplug it from the AC source and open it up and remove the CMOS battery. Then I would press and hold the power button for a minute or so to starve any onboard capacitors from any residual charge.

After which I would replace the CMOS battery, close up the case, plug it back into the AC outlet and fire it up, enter setup (BIOS) fix the date and time and see if it would boot successfully.

Removing and replacing / re-inserting the CMOS battery is a relatively simple and straight forward process http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN130418/how-to-replace-a-cmos-battery?lang=EN
BUT
If you are not comfortable performing the task yourself, perhaps you have a local mom and pop store that works on computers that could help.

Reaction score
Thanks, I will try the battery thing later tonight after work. I used a flash drive to attempt to boot into the recovery options but it didn't load when plugged in (the same drive I have used on another windows 10 machine quite successsfully... Sort of), apparently the uefi boot needed to be disabled, and secure boot in the bios setup as well, and I had to enter device options and disable that and enable legacy boot options, but when I did all this it booted into a dos prompt and I had no idea what to do there. I tried to download a new recovery tool but my roommate only had a linux machine and I couldn't figure out what I needed to do to install the tool, and neithee could he.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You need to make sure you have the latest version ISO
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
And use Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/
To configure your ThumbDrive for UEFI so you don't need to turn off items you mentioned above. The general idea in having those is so as to support more recent and advanced features available with your computer and turning them off is a bit counter-productive.

USE Rufus as indicated below to configure your usb drive to boot UEFI / GPT

Rufus.JPG

Additionally, you might need to employ the F-key that your system uses to evoke the one time boot menu option. I believe it is F12 on a lot of Dells but it may be something different and I can't be certain. You may want to check your documentation or an online resource to confirm.
BUT
Again, with your keyboard not responding to normal input, I'm not sure what the results might be when trying to produce the One Time Boot Menu, or....... The system setup utility (BIOS) for that matter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Apologies. In the light of the next day, I reread the OP. I had only skimmed over the XPS and wrongly assumed it was a laptop!! Ignore mall my previous drivel.

But, nevertheless, it can be switched off by holding down the power button.

Reaction score
You need to make sure you have the latest version ISO
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
And use Rufus http://rufus.akeo.ie/
To configure your ThumbDrive for UEFI so you don't need to turn off items you mentioned above. The general idea in having those is so as to support more recent and advanced features available with your computer and turning them off is a bit counter-productive.

USE Rufus as indicated below to configure your usb drive to boot UEFI / GPT

View attachment 5891

Additionally, you might need to employ the F-key that your system uses to evoke the one time boot menu option. I believe it is F12 on a lot of Dells but it may be something different and I can't be certain. You may want to check your documentation or an online resource to confirm.
BUT
Again, with your keyboard not responding to normal input, I'm not sure what the results might be when trying to produce the One Time Boot Menu, or....... The system setup utility (BIOS) for that matter.

Thank you, I will try this all and report back.

Ask a Question