Reaction score
What specs. do I look for to upgrade/Max-Out a HP -Compaq-PRO 6300 sff
Sys info:
Intel Core [email protected]
Processor speed 3200MHZ
RAM 4096 MB DDR3/1600MHZ
Channel A DIMM-1,= 4096 MB, DIMM-2 slot = 0
DIMM 3, & 4 slots = 0
I need to know in what combination/sequences can I add SDRAM DIMMs ? e.g. 4-slots w/ 8GB but NOT 3 only slots of 8 GB with 1-slot empty?
Also there are 2 slots colored white, 2 colored black. What do the differences mean w/respect to numbering (I can't read the Motherboard print).
I'm worried I will confuse the wording of ad's like on AMAZON or Tiger Direct sites, so what should I specifically look for?
The spec sheets for this exact model PC are a bit well very confusing for me to follow as they printed on the HP site.

Reaction score
My go-to site for Memory/RAM is www.crucial.com but this time it doesn't help, the only 6300 model they show has 8 slots which makes it different from yours [a larger case for the motherboard], unless there's more to the model name and number. And Crucial says they have no modules compatible for the model. Another thing I use is Piriform's SPECCY program to get much more information about a computer.

When having more than 2 slots it's best to have them as specified by the maker, fill slots 1 and 3 plus 2 and 4 as desired. If that is the possibility the paired slots will be colored different from another pair such as a white pair and a black pair, white pair and blue pair, etc. And most time at least 2 slots need to be filled to get dual-channel operation which tends to be faster than single-channel, I have 2 computers with matching specs except that the sizes are 4 and 2 for totals of 6GB each giving the dual-channel support in the BIOS. Some BIOSes will auto-select when possible but others need manually setting, if that doesn't work it usually means the modules don't match, best to get from the same source.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Wolfie said it already. That was the same page I was looking at but I believe there is a printing error in the last line of the table where it says 8GB in the black slot. It should read IMHO 4GB so all slots can be fit with 4GB for a maximum RAM of 16GB (not 20GB as printed)...

Reaction score
Have seen computers where there was 4+4 and 2+2 for 12GB so having 20GB is a possibility if the board supports it.

Ask a Question