"Choosing an operating system" stuck in a loop

Reaction score
Recently, I purchased a Microsoft Surface 3. From the day I got the tablet, it has been having freezing problems that seem to progressively get worse and worse. Today, I couldn't go two minutes on my Surface without having to restart it.

I would prefer to return the product, but since I can't, I decided to first try to update it. The update kept getting frozen, encountered an error or would just be stuck at 0%.

After exhausting all the other options I knew off, I quickly moved what little files that I had off of my tablet and then performed a factory reset.

The factory reset got stuck at 99%. And I don't mean that it just was there for a few hours--no, the screen literally froze. So I restarted the tablet again, which brought me to a screen that says, "Choose an Operating System" that has two options. Both options are "Windows 10 on volume 3." There seems to be no distinction between them. But the problem is that if I click one, and it doesn't matter which one, or if I just let the tablet automatically run on one of them, it loads for a few seconds with the "Surface" screen, and then immediately loops back to the same "Choose an Operating System." It is stuck on an infinite loop. Help?

Reaction score
I don't have an answer for your problem except suggesting that you might want to ask this question at Microsoft Community, Surface 3 forums......
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/surf3?tab=Threads?wb&auth=1

Your tablet has a multi-boot setup.
Did you do it or did the previous owner do it ?
Perhaps you bought it "used " ? A private sales ?
Don't buy a second hand electronics unless you can trust the seller....... especially a computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey I know this was almost a year ago now but i'm in the exact same situation with my laptop, did you find a solution?

Ask a Question