Microsoft use of users to debug operating system

Reaction score
Windows 10 reminds me of when I worked at a telecom company supporting customers using Win 98 and Vista. How many times we had to refer customers to Microsoft. It seems Microsoft builds a op and then puts it out into the public in order to find and hopefully fix bugs in the code. Why I switched to Windows 10 and didn't remember the frustration involved in using a program not fully tested prior to release makes me as big as a fool as some others. This is one reason why any new video game in beta I wait for awhile before using it. Now that I am using Windows 10 I will one of many waiting for Microsoft to work out the bugs, one being Group Policy not accessible and having to login with administrator. One day this will be fixed - I hope cause it's a big bug even after trying the suggestions listed in Windows 10 forums, Group Policy isn't working. I'm stuck with Windows 10 and now have to rely on Microsoft to bring joy in my using of Windows 10, but I suspect this will take at least a year or more to accomplish, my suggestion to pre-Windows 10 users is to WAIT.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
my suggestion to pre-Windows 10 users is to WAIT
Waiting is good advice and an optimal choice provided you can afford to wait.
The free upgrade offer expires in a little over a month and a half from today but if you can afford to wait and purchase the retail offering after July 29th then that might be a good option for many.

My personal experience with Operating System "upgrades" with very few if any exceptions has always been less than optimal to put it mildly and politely.
Preferring instead to bite the bullet and perform a clean install as I will do yet again when the "Anniversary Edition" is released shortly. I'll of course upgrade to it just to see how the upgrade goes but in short order will wipe the hard drive and perform a custom clean install and then go through the arduous task of re-installing my applications.
IF you want the best shot at a trouble free operating system, my suggestion is to always clean install it. It can be a giant pain in the rear but without fail has always provided me with the best results.
There's something to be said for starting off fresh with a clean Operating System and a pristine registry that has not been polluted and corrupted by previous and in some cases multiple OS upgrades not to mention third party software installs and uninstalls.

Reaction score
I think MS must have developed Fords "My Touch" that's another bug on the windshield of life.
I hope the D.O.T doesn't let MS develop the software for driverless vehicles.:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Windows 10 reminds me of when I worked at a telecom company supporting customers using Win 98 and Vista. How many times we had to refer customers to Microsoft. It seems Microsoft builds a op and then puts it out into the public in order to find and hopefully fix bugs in the code. Why I switched to Windows 10 and didn't remember the frustration involved in using a program not fully tested prior to release makes me as big as a fool as some others. This is one reason why any new video game in beta I wait for awhile before using it. Now that I am using Windows 10 I will one of many waiting for Microsoft to work out the bugs, one being Group Policy not accessible and having to login with administrator. One day this will be fixed - I hope cause it's a big bug even after trying the suggestions listed in Windows 10 forums, Group Policy isn't working. I'm stuck with Windows 10 and now have to rely on Microsoft to bring joy in my using of Windows 10, but I suspect this will take at least a year or more to accomplish, my suggestion to pre-Windows 10 users is to WAIT.

Microsoft has has a Insider program since almost a year before Windows 10 was release. They still have the insider program that tests new feature before they are released to the public. This is the new Windows and new features and fixes are going to be added when needed instead of holding back for service pack releases. So really whenever you install Windows are going to be new things with each update. Your not really any safer waiting a year as new things are constantly being added to Windows. Major upgrades like anniversary will have more new features but almost every update is something new.

Reaction score
Microsoft has has a Insider program since almost a year before Windows 10 was release. They still have the insider program that tests new feature before they are released to the public. This is the new Windows and new features and fixes are going to be added when needed instead of holding back for service pack releases. So really whenever you install Windows are going to be new things with each update. Your not really any safer waiting a year as new things are constantly being added to Windows. Major upgrades like anniversary will have more new features but almost every update is something new.

It is my opinion that although windows a insider program to test the product, there is more to having 10 million people use the products and report issues. As for using Win 10 there are some who choose to wait for all the fixes, updates to be implicated in the program and then use the program. I my self in some deluded idea thought that this was accomplished and when the problems started to occur. I await the updates - hopefully fixes.

Reaction score
Well this Windows is the new Windows. Previously MS used the service pack approach to updating windows. This approach they accumulated fixes and released them together. You got security update and basically on a monthly basis. Now you can get updates at anytime so waiting really doesn't help because Windows is constantly being updated which means it constantly being tested in the public. Also the old Windows basically BETA testing ended with the release of the version so the need for the insiders program was created. Because Windows has thousands of hardware combinations testing on random configurations is better than a controlled QA lab at MS.

Reaction score
Well this Windows is the new Windows. Previously MS used the service pack approach to updating windows. This approach they accumulated fixes and released them together. You got security update and basically on a monthly basis. Now you can get updates at anytime so waiting really doesn't help because Windows is constantly being updated which means it constantly being tested in the public. Also the old Windows basically BETA testing ended with the release of the version so the need for the insiders program was created. Because Windows has thousands of hardware combinations testing on random configurations is better than a controlled QA lab at MS.

Jake I agree with what your saying. But, it doesn't explain why there are so many problems with the upgrades, and why MS Put out Windows Home updates out in the real world before releasing the Pro version updates. That's like Honda building a vehicle and fixing the bugs after it's purchased. I know Honda is world class when it comes to vehicle
longevity and reliability and would never do that. MS is a world leader too when is comes to OS and software, as such we shouldn't expect anything less than the current subpar version. My opinion only.
BTW I haven't had any problems with 5 upgrades, but users have many different uses for their beloved PC's. I'm not into tweaking, gaming, graphics, or design, just a happy basic PC user with MS Office 2010 and FireFox browser, that's all I've added since the upgrades.

Reaction score
The comparison to Honda is not accurate. Honda designs the cars and purchases parts from parts makers. These part are made by the same companies. Microsoft writes an OS that is compatible with Intel and AMD processors. Dell, Hp, Lenovo and the rest of the OEM's design their pc's and they are built in china by ODM's that purchase the components from hundreds of companies. The thing is unlike cars the components don't work together with the OS and they need translators to written by they component makers to talk to Windows. Cars don't need OS's. Cars used computers but those computer don't talk to each other and they perform one task. The windows translators are called DRIVERS. Most of the issues with WIndows are with drivers. You have MS doing updates to Windows and you have the components makers updating their software as they go also. Apple which makes and OS and the hardware and has control over the components is much easier to manage. MS has no control of what graphics card Dell puts in their machines, MS has no control over Lenovo to which sound card or wireless card they put in their machines. MS doesn't even have control over if the OEM's use touch screen or not they just provide them the ability to use it if they do.
Part of the reason for Beta testing and insiders is so users can test on the thousands of combinations of hardware configurations in the world. Which is impossible for Microsoft to duplicate in a QA lab.

Reaction score
I was told in graduate school awhile back that "Software isn't finished it's just released." Also the same professor asked the question on what is the difference between Hardware and Software. The answer was software doesn't break and hardware does.

Reaction score
I completely understand and appreciate your opinion. But, it's MS that decided not to support various apps and programs that were supported in Win XP, 7 and 8.1. MS want total market dominance over all apps and programs, we the users no longer have a choice. Well we do, my next PC will be a MAC, pricey but you pay for what you get. and Apple stands behind it's loyal customers. Remember the recent Apple vs FBI issues on password breaking.

Reaction score
What apps are you talking about? Do you know MS creates more software than any other company for the Apple PC's. There are lots of Windows software the vendors stopped upgrading and abandoned their product. The one product MS left out of Windows 10 is the Media Player. If ther is a demand someone else will release one.

Ask a Question