Important Announcement from Microsoft for Users using third party antivirus applications

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since January 3rd, 2018, you have been able to receive the latest Cumulative Update from Microsoft. While no new software is being added to Windows 10, there is a significant Security Update packaged with this update.

Microsoft have identified a conflict which can result in some antivirus software generating a Stop Code which will result in a machine unable to boot up.

This in particular has significance for those on Windows Server, but ultimately will affect all users with Intel, ARM and AMD processors as the fix for this issue will result in a slow down of the computer OS [although some experts say the average user will notice little performance loss].

Microsoft has provided the affected antivirus Vendors with a solution which these Vendors will need to update their Software for.

If you have not received this security update, and are using a third party Antivirus application, you ought to contact your Antivirus vendor to confirm whether or not they are managed to repair the bug on their end, and whether or not you need to update your Antivirus software as a result.

You can read more about this security update both:

Here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...garding-the-windows-security-updates-released

and here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892

Regedit32

Reaction score
I wonder if this is related to the Intel Processor security problem..? That fix is supposed to slow down a systems performance.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I wonder if this is related to the Intel Processor security problem..?

I believe it may well be related, as the Intel/ARM/AMD processor issue means someone can write a code to intercept the advanced speculative data the processor is accessing that speeds the computer up, so that needs to be plugged which will of course slow things down for everyone.

Servers will be slower so people like Microsoft may need to increase the number of servers to allow their updates to run out smoothly.

The issue with the Antivirus though is more about when it scans memory. That will affect even a home user, so while related it is also a unique problem given [ I am hoping at least ] the antivirus vendors were not accessing our personal passwords stored in memory etc .

Reaction score
I only had one system which did not have the Registry entry in your link. It had McAfee and did not show any updates available.

I added the entry myself but possibly it would have been added during the install of the update.

All 5 systems have now installed the update without problems.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Microsoft has released a patch for this issue:

Unfortunately, some third party antivirus applications like McAfee are still blocking this patch from being downloaded.

If you are not sure whether you have the patch installed yet, here is the KB number you need to look for by right-clicking Start > selecting Settings > selecting Updates & Security > clicking View installed updates:
  • Windows 10 version 1709 (Fall Creator Update): KB4056892
  • Windows 10 version 1703 (Creators Update): KB4056891
  • Windows 10 version 1607 (Anniversary Update): KB4056890
  • Windows 10 version 1511 (November Update): KB4056888
  • Windows 10 version 1507 (Initial Release): KB4056893

If you have not received the update relevant to your Windows 10 version you can manually install it by visiting Microsoft's Catalog page and downloading the necessary patch:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056892

Note: The link above will take you to the Catolog and list the various versions for the Fall Creator Update. If you are using an older version of Windows 10, then on the Catalog page, enter the correct KB number into their search box to get a list of choices for your computer.

In additional to installing this critical patch, you should also check your computer manufacturer website for any Firmware updates as this security flaw is a hardware related issue.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Have seen it suggested that one check their Registry for a particular entry. To that end I have saved a screenshot of the details:
AV_ALLOW REGKEY.png

Reaction score
I use Defender, If McAfee are being stubborn users can fix that with 2 right clicks.
My 3 machines updated last Thursday. I checked the reg entries just to confirm.

Reaction score
Have seen it suggested that one check their Registry for a particular entry. To that end I have saved a screenshot of the details:
View attachment 7854
Hi Bighorn,

I checked my regedit and it shows as per your link but update reports that it still isn't installed and it has tried 9 times thus far!. :)

I am not worried about it and just thought I would tell you all!. ;)

Hi @Regedit32,

on my Trekstor Surfbook, there are no current firmware updates available!. :( I haven't checked my HP Compaq but I have HP Support Tool installed and it hasn't moaned about any new updates, the KB file did install okay on that!. :)

Last edited:

T_J

Reaction score
I have McAfee LiveSafe and received the Jan 3 update on Jan 8. v1709
Guess McAfee doesn't want customers to live too safe. :eek:

Reaction score
I heard today Microsoft had stopped the patch update. The report was many systems were being made unusable... Since all of my systems have already updated, I won't be able to tell.

And one more thing, the Dell User community has been closed since Thursday night or Friday, which was about the time the patch was released. They say thy are rebuilding the site and will be back shortly. ;)

Reaction score
My laptop (intel) became unusable too so not just AMD processors are affected imo, after the update when coming out of sleep would go back to sleep again, eventually this turned the login screen wouldn’t appear - it just returned to the spotlight screen. I restored to Friday’s image & all appears well. The patch didn’t appear to be offered again.

Reaction score
3 Dell machines here, 2 Desktops 1 Laptop. All with Intel processors. They all updated with no problems.

Reaction score
I flattened my laptop (I had nothing on the drive worth mentioning) and I did a complete disk wipe and re-install, now everything is as it should be!. :)

Reaction score
I heard today Microsoft had stopped the patch update. The report was many systems were being made unusable... Since all of my systems have already updated, I won't be able to tell.

And one more thing, the Dell User community has been closed since Thursday night or Friday, which was about the time the patch was released. They say thy are rebuilding the site and will be back shortly. ;)

Saltgrass My Grandson just got home from school and the update (KB4056892) downloaded from MS today. He's paranoid that his machine will get trashed (Intel i5 7600 Kaby Lake) I told him to he should be OK, create a restore point and remove any peripheral USB devices before signing out for the night. Fingers crossed ;)

Reaction score
3 Dell machines here, 2 Desktops 1 Laptop. All with Intel processors. They all updated with no problems.
Tried again & all appears well now.
I read that users should update their av software to patch the vulnerability first then install the MS update, if so then that might’ve been the problem.

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since January 3rd, 2018, you have been able to receive the latest Cumulative Update from Microsoft. While no new software is being added to Windows 10, there is a significant Security Update packaged with this update.

Microsoft have identified a conflict which can result in some antivirus software generating a Stop Code which will result in a machine unable to boot up.

This in particular has significance for those on Windows Server, but ultimately will affect all users with Intel, ARM and AMD processors as the fix for this issue will result in a slow down of the computer OS [although some experts say the average user will notice little performance loss].

Microsoft has provided the affected antivirus Vendors with a solution which these Vendors will need to update their Software for.

If you have not received this security update, and are using a third party Antivirus application, you ought to contact your Antivirus vendor to confirm whether or not they are managed to repair the bug on their end, and whether or not you need to update your Antivirus software as a result.

You can read more about this security update both:

Here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...garding-the-windows-security-updates-released

and here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892

Regedit32
This is what your Windows 10 registry should look like and have, as per first link above ' Important: Windows security updates and antivirus software'.

Key="HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" Subkey="SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat" Value="cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc" Type="REG_DWORD”

Data="0x00000000”

I have the Windows 10 Pro 1709/16299.371.

Attachments

• Win 10 Registry Entry.JPG
    Win 10 Registry Entry.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 780
Reaction score
Microsoft has released a patch for this issue:

Unfortunately, some third party antivirus applications like McAfee are still blocking this patch from being downloaded.

If you are not sure whether you have the patch installed yet, here is the KB number you need to look for by right-clicking Start > selecting Settings > selecting Updates & Security > clicking View installed updates:
  • Windows 10 version 1709 (Fall Creator Update): KB4056892
  • Windows 10 version 1703 (Creators Update): KB4056891
  • Windows 10 version 1607 (Anniversary Update): KB4056890
  • Windows 10 version 1511 (November Update): KB4056888
  • Windows 10 version 1507 (Initial Release): KB4056893

If you have not received the update relevant to your Windows 10 version you can manually install it by visiting Microsoft's Catalog page and downloading the necessary patch:

http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056892

Note: The link above will take you to the Catolog and list the various versions for the Fall Creator Update. If you are using an older version of Windows 10, then on the Catalog page, enter the correct KB number into their search box to get a list of choices for your computer.

In additional to installing this critical patch, you should also check your computer manufacturer website for any Firmware updates as this security flaw is a hardware related issue.

Regards,

Regedit32
went to check on updates, and found that the update history was only showing a small number of listings, all since 1/19/2019. What has changed, as I used to be able to see a much larger listing of updates?

Reaction score
Unfortunately the post you responded to is from April 2018, may have been fixed since then. And the Versions listed on the Regedit Quote are older, maybe Version 1709 is the only one on that list still supported.

As for the list of updates a lot will depend upon which Version and Build you are running. Windows key + R, type winver to find out and post what you have. Your System Specs contain nothing.

Ask a Question