Microsoft to force Windows 10 on users with automatic updates from 2016

Reaction score
Microsoft has been doing that for some time unofficially and now it is official. The last paragraph of the article in your link is interesting in that it officially announces that invalid copies of Windows are now allowed to do a free upgrade.

My thought is; Does this mean that the July cut off for a free upgrade is cancelled and the forced update is ongoing.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
No I believe that they will do the cut off as they will need to start making money as you have to draw a limit sometime.
If I find anymore on this I will of course post it and keep members up dated

Reaction score
I'm not a legal minded guy, but I cannot se that they will get away with it. Maybe, hopefully, at least in my part of the world the european commission will have something to say.

I am OK with Windows 10, but I do have a couple of computers still running Windows 8.1. I bought the lease of that OS, and I am happy with the use of it. Windows 10 upgrade free or not, someone is going to have to give me my money back if I suddenly find Windows 10 on them.

P.S. Can anyone find the original MS statement on this. I don't doubt the contents of the link, but would prefer to read the source.

Reaction score
The original MS statement did not suggest that the update for non-genuine Windows would be free. Just easier.

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
I'm not a legal minded guy, but I cannot se that they will get away with it. Maybe, hopefully, at least in my part of the world the european commission will have something to say.

I am OK with Windows 10, but I do have a couple of computers still running Windows 8.1. I bought the lease of that OS, and I am happy with the use of it. Windows 10 upgrade free or not, someone is going to have to give me my money back if I suddenly find Windows 10 on them.

P.S. Can anyone find the original MS statement on this. I don't doubt the contents of the link, but would prefer to read the source.

That link is the source

Reaction score
I am just a rookie but I can clearly see that your posted article was written by a V3-co-uk staff writer named Robinson. He does not work for Microsoft. That may be your source but it is not "the source" Davehc refers to.

I think an apology is in order.

Last edited:

hTconeM9user

Reaction score
I am just a rookie but I can clearly see that your posted article was written by a V3-co-uk staff writer named Robinson. He does not work for Microsoft. That may be your source but it is not "the source" Davehc refers to.

I think an apology is in order.

Read the reply posted this is a link inside and it came from someone at Microsoft themselves
Also been confirmed by someone on another forum that Microsoft insider released the report
But in future I wont be posting nothing on this forum will just let members on here be left in the dark

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is the source Davehc was looking for. That Trouble has a keen eye.

I see I was wrong when I said "The last paragraph of the article in your link is interesting in that it officially announces that invalid copies of Windows are now allowed to do a free upgrade." It did not say that at all.

See, some of us are not afraid to admit error.

Reaction score
Yep
http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/
is the source
Windows 10 and Windows Update
We will soon be publishing Windows 10 as an “Optional Update” in Windows Update for all Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 customers. Windows Update is the trusted, logical location for our most important updates, and adding Windows 10 here is another way we will make it easy for you to find your upgrade.

Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a “Recommended Update”. Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device. Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue. And of course, if you choose to upgrade (our recommendation!), then you will have 31 days to roll back to your previous Windows version if you don’t love it.

Reaction score
Here is the relevant para from Mr Myerson

"Early next year, we expect to be re-categorizing Windows 10 as a “Recommended Update”. Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device. Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue. And of course, if you choose to upgrade (our recommendation!), then you will have 31 days to roll back to your previous Windows version if you don’t love it.

So you might well find you have 3GB less disk space than before even if you don't upgrade.

And the other thing
"We’ll offer a one-click opportunity to get Genuine via the Windows Store or by entering an activation code purchased elsewhere."

Notice it does not say get for free. . It would have been clearer if he'd said buy instead of get.

Reaction score
And the other thing
"We’ll offer a one-click opportunity to get Genuine via the Windows Store or by entering an activation code purchased elsewhere."
It will be interesting to see just how much that cost will be. Hopefully it will be a token amount but don't count on it.

As far as the space issue is concerned, Ccleaner can take care of that.

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see just how much that cost will be. Hopefully it will be a token amount but don't count on it.

As far as the space issue is concerned, Ccleaner can take care of that.

I am sure it will be the standard price that everybody else has to pay.

Reaction score
Thank you. Trouble pointed that out. I had missed it.
Forget the other post with the suggestion of an apology. I apologise to you!!
You misunderstand. The OP owes you an apology (which aint never gonna happen) for saying you were wrong about his post not being the source. You were absolutely right even though his posted article contained the source link. He did not see that either. He really thought his article was the actual source.

Last edited:

Ask a Question