SOLVED Microsoft Solitaire will not stay loaded

Reaction score
We used to love playing the competition events and daily challenges but lately we cannot even load this software. Every time I load if an adv does not work it just drops me back to the desktop. Can someone help me and please in laymens terms. I would appreciate any help available. I have already tried uninstalling and re-installing and it makes no difference.

Reaction score
I am an enthusiastic player, also.
One thing, which may be the only one troubling you, is the significant increase in advertising on the game panel. Some adverts are tricky enough to encourage you to click a cross, or whatever, which will, after visiting the internet site, bring you back to the desktop.
The only way I have found to deal with this is patience.
Wait until the advert has entirely stopped. You will have to practise and use your jugement for that THEN click the usual cross or exit symbol.

Reaction score
Hi Dave
The only problem is that I don't even get the advertising to start with. I click on the game to play and it doesn't matter whether it is in the events or daily challenge where the advertising is normally displayed is a white screen and after a couple of seconds if no advertising appears then I am thrown out of the software completely back to my desktop. Any other ideas?? Really appreciate your assistance and looking forward to any other solutions.

Reaction score
Ok. First see if the Cache is locked up in some way.
In the "Run" box (Right click the start icon to get it) type wsreset.exe You can copy and paste that.

Not mentioned, so, have you tried the reset?
Settings - Apps.
scroll down to the solitaire collection, left click it and then advanced options.
scroll again to "reset" (near the bottom)
See if that improves anything.
Another.
Open the stor and click the three dots top right. Cllick "downloads and updates" and see if you need any.

I am presuming that you are up to date with the os? You should have build 1809 (OS Build 17763.134)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Dave
I have actually run ccleaner, malware bytes and scaned my computer with Nortons antivirus. I have just finished playing the daily challenge and all worked OK. I am now waiting for the events to start to see if this is working OK as well.
I will let you know if the events are as stable as the daily challenge.
Malware bytes found 18 threats which have been quarantined and Nortons have also cleaned up my computer. All is good at the moment.
I would like to thank you for taking the time to help me I really appreciate it.
Denise

Reaction score
Started the events and got to Game 5 and it closed down so I did what you suggested and it was working well until I got to Game 10 when it locked up when changing games which was something different and then closed down. So looks like I still have an issue somewhere. Any other ideas?
Denise

Reaction score
Looking at your preceding post, I am thinking you have some third party anti virus or an ad preventer running?

Reaction score
I have gone back in and finished the rest of the events as well as daily challenge and had no problems. I have no idea what is happening. If I do have some third party antivirus or an ad preventer how do I find this to fix it. As far as I am aware the only Antivirus I have running is Nortons.

At least at this stage I can start enjoying these games again.
I can't thank you enough for all of your advice.
Denise

Reaction score
Ok. Carry on but if the problem starts again, disable Norton temporarily and see if anything improves.

Just my personal opinion. Laugh and tear up if you wish. When Peter Norton owned Norton, many years ago, hos programs were innovative and 100% excellent. Over the latter years, if I wished to use a permanent Antivirus program, Norton would be my last choice - far to intensive and interfering.

Ask a Question