SOLVED Cannot get Microsoft Edge working

Reaction score
After a day of trouble-shooting, trying many suggestions including most recently those here
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/microsoft-edge-wont-open-on-windows-10-solved/#b
I still cannot get Microsoft Edge working.

It comes up for about 10 seconds, displaying an incomplete message and then closes:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/i4cwdywfvu3llfh/NoEdge-2.jpg?raw=1

I tried Settings > Apps > Apps & Features > Microsoft Edge. 'Repair' gets a promising checkmark, but trying to open Edge fails and the icon vanishes from the taskbar. 'Reset' doesn't get it back. Using the PS command in Admin mode

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

restores the icon and the original incorrect behaviour.

I don't like or use Edge. But as it's an integral Win 10 component, used for example to deliver 'Help and Support', and I'm sure lots of other stuff, I'm keen to get it working. Anyone had similar problems and/or knows of other steps I can try please?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Reaction score
Not sure if it makes any difference, but the command I have in my help Dbase, reads with the tag at the end "Verbose"
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}

Reaction score
I have used Edge, as my default, through all the Windows 10 releases, without problems. I don't think the build version is the problem here.

Reaction score
He could be using version 1073 for all we know which may be related to the problem?. ;););)

Reaction score
My increasingly poor memory doesn't stretch back that far, but, as said, I dont recall ever having problems with Edge.

Reaction score
Thanks for all replies so far; good to have others on the case. Conscious of investing far too much time on a relatively trivial problem (at least for a Firefox/Waterfox user), but hate unsolved puzzles.

This is Win 10 Pro 1803 (OS Build 17134.376).

I've used that PS command with and without the 'verbose' element. I think it just affects the number of red messages (obscure to me) that appear before it concludes.

I've been examining Event errors that occur by the score/hundred when I try to run Edge. Later today I'll post more details in case it offers clues to the experts here.

Reaction score
SUCCESS! So satisfying when a couple of days' forensics ends up with an elegant fix ;-)

This came from a post by KJSTech1 Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:31 PM
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...rashes-after-upgrading-to-creator-update-1703
reporting a solution found by rafaeljsc.

Summarising, you perform the now familiar PowerShell reset of Microsoft Edge

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

But the crucial step for me and others was to add a new Registry key, using this elevated command prompt:
reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Spartan" /v RAC_LaunchFlags /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Reaction score
Good to hear it Terry, please mark the thread as solved so it helps others!. :):):)

Reaction score
RIP Terry.
As a result of your success, I browsed for this fix.
It seems that it is a problem created from a left over security function in a previous build.
I have, from time to time, made fresh installs, so possibly avoided it.
Basically, the solution seems to have been to totally delete the Edge App entry, before applying any fixes.
fwiw. I dont have that entry in my registry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. It was indeed an obscure issue! I too did not have that registry entry, but as soon as I'd added it the problem vanished as fast as stickng a pin in a soap bubble.

Ask a Question