Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just updated to Windows 10 and when I tried to open outlook 2013 I get this "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened."

can anyone help!!! sitting at work and cannot access my email.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe the site owner Ian had a similar problem and I think he said that he ran the native System File Checker.
Admin Command Prompt
sfc /scannow
and that fixed it for him.
You might give that a try.
And please confirm that your upgrade has all three of the subsequent Windows Updates installed.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I had a slightly different problem, but it does look like quite a few people have had difficulty with Outlook on Windows 10. I did a bit of searching and resetting the navigation pane may do the trick for you.

Could you try running "outlook.exe /resetnavpane" please? Just press Windows Key + R to bring up the run box.

If that doesn't work, see if Outlook works in safe mode by running "outlook.exe /safe" and select your default profile when prompted.

Reaction score
I read another thread that mentioned to go back to the previous build so its in the process of doing that and its been over 2 hours and its still going.. So I will try the other suggestions after or if this ever gets done.

Any suggestions on how long this should take? and if I should just shut it down?

Reaction score
I'm having this exact same problem trying to set up Outlook 2013 on Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3. I'm using Exchange and this for the server: outlook.office365.com. Searching for the problem I found this as the solution: Outlook connection issues with Exchange mailboxes because of the RPC encryption requirement

1. This basically says that there is a problem with the encryption between your client and the exchange server. However after going though the steps I found my encryption was already ON and so this didn't solve the problem.

2. outlook.exe /resetnavpane. I tried this and it didn't help.

3. outlook.exe /safe I tired running Outlook in the safe mode and it didn't help.

I note that the Windows 10 Mail app works fine with my Exchange account, which makes this more perplexing.

Otis

Reaction score
Could you try running "outlook.exe /resetnavpane" please? Just press Windows Key + R to bring up the run box.

I ran the "outlook.exe /resetnavpane" command as Ian suggested above. The iCloud calendar, contacts, and reminders disappeared from Outlook after that. Not being entirely sure how to restore them at that point, I decided to uninstall then reinstall iCloud for Windows. The problem was corrected, but I'm not sure which action actually fixed it. Anywho, I can now access my iCloud calendar, contacts, and reminders in Outlook.

Reaction score
I just updated to Windows 10 and when I tried to open outlook 2013 I get this "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened. The information store could not be opened."

can anyone help!!! sitting at work and cannot access my email.

Had same problem yesterday, fix was to go the outlook.pst file and make sure the permissions are set correctly. the worked but still can't send emails from outlook!! The test account send receive works fine but noting will leave the outbox !!

Get Message

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC13) : 'Cannot connect to the network. Verify your network connection or modem.'

Which of course is not right, the network connections are fine !!

Any assistance with this welcomed....

Reaction score
There's a fix for that - from an admin command prompt - run "sfc /scannow"

Reaction score
Hi,

If you have received the error “cannot start Microsoft Outlook”, the user interface may be failing to completely launch. To fix error message, try to start Outlook in Safe Mode as sometimes add-ins can conflict with Outlook. You can use the steps below to correct the Outlook error

· Start Outlook in Safe Mode and to do this hold the Windows key and press “X”.

· Choose Run in the popup menu

· Type Outlook/safe in the Run dialog box

· Click “File” and then click “Option”

· Click “Add-Ins” and select COM Add-Ins and then click “Go”

· Click to clear all the check boxes in the list and then click “OK”

· Restart Outlook

Hope this may help you!!!

Reaction score
The problem was corrected, but I'm not sure which action actually fixed it.

If I may butt in. My opinion is.........

1. outlook.exe /resetnavpan is a known method to fix " cannot open Outlook " problem.
You used that and Outlook issue was resolved.

2. Uninstall > reinstall iCloud fixes the " iCloud calendar, contacts, and reminders disappeared " problem.

No idea why iCloud items disappeared after fixing Outlook with outlook.exe /resetnavpan.

Reaction score
I just started having this same issue with a little different twist. The error message I receive is:

Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. The set of folders cannot be opened.
The file <...>xxx.pst cannot be opened.

I've read several other posts, and using the /resetnavpane or /safe options produces the same results. I've also tried running sfc /scannow, but that seems to do nothing.

My only option so far has been to reboot, and then I can start Outlook normally, at which time I disabled all COM addins. That worked for a little while, but then I got a message saying Outlook has stopped working, and it tried to restart Outlook, resulting in the above error again.

I'm running Win10 Home, Version 1511, OS build 10586.318, 64-bit with 16GB RAM, and Outlook 2016. I also have several email accounts including gmail and att accounts.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Reaction score
Fixed it by doing the following:

C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

and deleting the outlook.xml file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question