SOLVED This device cannot start. (Code 10) A device which does not exist was specified.

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to implement an Actiontec 56k Modem for use with one of my programs that has to have dial-up.
I've installed the drivers, and they say they're the correct ones and up to date, but the device manager still throws an error as in the title. Any ideas where to now, people?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Wiresplus,

Welcome to the Forum.

Are you able to give a little more information on your modem.
  • Is it the external one that connects via a USB port?
  • Where did you download the drivers for it from?
  • Do the drivers you got support 64-bit OS as per your System specs?
    • I ask as a quick search of drivers for the external modem that would possibly work in Windows 10 only appear to offer 32-bit support.
  • Have you attempted via Device Manager to uninstall the modem and at same time remove drivers from your computer [i.e. delete them] then after a reboot of computer tried to install the drivers you have and set up the modem again? Note too: If its a USB connected modem you might also need to uninstall all your USB hubs and reset them also before you attempt to install the modem. This would allow Windows to reassign com ports which if clashing cause also generate your error message, although typically the error is caused owing to corrupted or incompatible drivers.

Reaction score
Hello Regedit32,
Yes it is external USB one
The drivers came with it on a disk, and I also downloaded drivers from the prolific website, as it comes up as Prolific in Dev Mgr
I think that you may have hit the nail on the head with the 64bit. Yes, all drivers are 32bit and as the product was EOL years ago it has never had a 64bit driver made for it.
I guess I'm going to have to resurrect an old XP box for this task!!

Reaction score
Hi Wiresplus,

have you also checked in Windows menu > Windows System > Control Panel > Phone & Modem?:

modem settings.PNG
:)

Ask a Question