Win10 Cannot Move Files on my Device

Reaction score
My device is a Motorola E2 4G-LTE phone.

The camera is setup to store pictures on the 32GB SD card.

To help me locate these photos quickly, I create folders for each month, and move the pictures into those folders as I have processed them.

On a Windows 7 PC, I can drag the files from the DCIM > Camera folder into one of the DCIM > Camera sub folders.

• 1.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg

On my Windows 10 PCs, no files ever move. I can select multiple or just one file (sorry, but I do not have any screenshots for the Windows 10 process to show). The Win10 OS will show the progress bar similar to the last picture above, but instead of a moving progress banner, I only get the Marquee banner. Eventually time out with something like, "Unable to communicate with device." (again, my apologies. We do not have Windows 10 PCs at work, so this is all I can do over my lunch break)

I have tried being logged in as the Administrator on Windows 10, but it makes no difference.

Is the phone not Windows 10 compatible or is Windows 10 not able to move files on an attached media device?

Reaction score
Does your PC have a card reader?

Have you tried mapping the phone card as a drive in W10. Does the phone have a logon and password?

Reaction score
There is not a card reader built-in, but I have a USB card reader. If I turn the phone off, remove the battery so that I can access the microSD card and plug that into the card reader, it works fine!

As for mapping the drive, I cannot recall the exact message, but Windows 10 will not mount this as a drive.

The phone has one of those scribbles that has to be done on the screen to unlock it. The phone will not even be visible on the PC until the screen is unlocked.

Reaction score
Yeah, it's tricky to manipulate files on an Android device when connecting to your PC via a USB cable. My phone runs on Android 4.4.2. I'm not able to alter anything on the phone's SD card using Windows 10's file explorer. I can't rename, move or delete files or folders. I can create a new folder on the phone but not change its name from "New Folder". (That is, I can create but not change data on the phone via the Windows 10 file explorer.) However, I can copy folders & files to & from my computer so...

Try this:
1. Create a new folder on your desktop (e.g. 2016.11) and copy the pictures from the phone's CAMERA folder into this new desktop folder. (Moving the pictures won't work because that would alter the phone's data.)

2. Copy the pictures from the desktop 2016.11 folder into the phone's 2016.11 folder. (You should also be able to move the pictures from the desktop folder into the phone's folder.)

3. Using the phone, verify the pictures are in the phone's 2016.11 folder and then delete them from the phone's CAMERA folder.

I think the move operation in step 2 should work because your PC should allow it, but if you're worried about data loss, copy is a safe bet until you verify that the pictures are where you want them on your phone.

It's cumbersome but it should work. Please report your findings!

Reaction score
Yeah, I can drag the folder to the desktop just fine. That's odd.

I stick the pictures into folders to use that as another backup copy of my pics, so I'm just going to assume that I could delete the folder on the phone just as easily.

So, there is no fix for this? Maybe some setting in Windows 10 that I can deactivate so that I can still do normal drag-n-drop of the files?

Since Windows 7 can do it, I take it there is a setting somewhere in Windows 10 that is "protecting" me. :p

Ask a Question