Cannot Connect to Win10 Update Service

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded my desktop from Win7 to Win10 Home Edition, Build 1511, Image 10586.

The upgrade went smoothly, but any attempts to ‘Check for Updates’ result in the following message after it searches for a few minutes:

“We could not connect to the Update Service. We’ll try again later, or you can check now. If it still doesn’t work, make sure you are connected to the internet. A ‘Retry’ link is displayed but simply results in the same message.

The internet connection is OK as I have used it immediately before and after the update check.

Choosing how to install updates is set to “Automatic (Recommended)".

Viewing the update history shows that no updates have been installed.

Can anyone advise how to resolve this issue?

I have tried running DISM Healthcheck, but no issues are shown.

Reaction score
One question might be are you on a Metered connection. Updates may not download if such a connection is being used. (Settings-Networking-Wi-Fi)

Give it some time to check for updates since the system has to check which ones are needed.

Do you have an anti-virus install which might be interfering?

If you look in the Control Panel (right click start button and select) you will see a troubleshooter which has an option to check for update problems.

There is another diagnostic link available but I will have to look for it if the built-in troubleshooter does not help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-troubleshooter

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass ….. Thanks for prompt reply.

I’m not on a metered connection. I do have Malwarebytes premium installed.

Each check is taking at least 5 minutes (It is set to check for other MS product updates as well).

I’ve followed the Control Panel ‘Troubleshooting’ and the ‘Update’ links as administrator, with following results:

1. CrptSvc was stopped and restarted.
2. Problem found: Windows Update components must be repaired (FIXED).

Rechecked for updates, but problem still existed.

Explored “Additional Option” ….. Find related Trouble-shooters:

- “Fix Problems that may be preventing background downloads from working” resulted with:

3. “Some security settings are missing or have been changed” (FIXED).
4. “Service Registration is missing or corrupt” (FIXED).

Rechecked for updates, but problem still existed.

Restarted PC: Tried ‘Update’ again and after about 5 mins it gave ‘No updates available’.
- expected some updates for other products at least (e.g. Defender).

Tried ‘Check for Updates’ again several times….. but back to original problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There have been some instances in the past where an issue with the Date / Time have cause some problems with Windows Update so you might confirm that your Time Zone and associated settings are correct.
Do you have an anti-virus install which might be interfering?
I do have Malwarebytes premium installed.
“Some security settings are missing or have been changed” (FIXED).
AS saltgrass has suggested some third party security suites can cause a problem sometimes by disabling the native Windows Firewall, but....
Malwarebytes is not one of them.
Check and confirm that the Windows Firewall service is running on the network (hopefully "Private") that you are currently using.

Reaction score
Hi 'Trouble' .... Thanks for your time.
Date and Time are accurate for my Time Zone.
Firewall is on for both Private and Public Networks, but 'Private Network' shows as 'disconnected'. I don't understand whether 'Private' should be connected and, if so, how I should change this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally speaking it is always a good idea, in the case of a home computer to use "Private"
Click the start button, click settings, click the "Network & Internet" icon
From the left column select your network (i.e., Ethernet) that's what I am using yours may reference wireless or wifi
In the right pane click the icon (if you have more than one, select the one that says "Connected".
Change the slider to "On" .... under the section labeled "Make this PC discoverable".
That should subsequently reflect the change in Windows Firewall to "Private".

Reaction score
So you will know, the Defender updates no longer show up as installed updates. You need to check the Windows Defender option and look at the Version info to see it is has changed. Mine is showing an Antivirus definition of 1.219.682.0

My last three updates were installed on 4/12 and show as KB 3154132,3147458 and 890830.

Also, if you go to the Updates page and click on Learn More, it will take you to a page which shows what updates should be installed. If you got updates during upgrade they will not show as Installed, I believe.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi .... I'm still getting nowhere trying to get Win10 to check for updates. Various websites suggest it is because Win10 has not Activated correctly following the upgrade.
I've tried re-activating but get error message "Unable to reach Windows Activation Servers" then 'Windows can't Activate at this time. Try activating again. If that does not work contact support. Error code 0xD0000272".
I've also tried 'changing the product Key' to the correct Windows7 key but still no luck.

I've now spent over 2 hours on the phone to Microsoft support but they were worse than useless and concentrated on shunting me to other depts / numbers, several of which did not exist .... and I had to start all over again.
One support agent suggested phone activation and after keying in a 63 digit ID number, it advised 'number not verified' and transferred me to yet another useless MS technician group .... who then said they did not have tools to deal with a UK English issue .... and gave me a UK phone number which does not exist.
HELP !!!!!!

Reaction score
If you look at Settings-Windows Update-Activation, what does it show for activation status and Product Key? It should show activated with a digital entitlement.

The Windows 7 key is not relevant once you have upgraded from that install. This is no Windows 10 key available for your use. There is a generic one but that won't allow permanent activation and may mess up your current install.

Edit: You have probably already done everything in this link but you might just check. When it allows you to change product keys, that is for a Windows 10 key you would have if you had purchased a retail version.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-errors-windows-10

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't have anything to add.
I thought the issue was with Windows UPdates not Activation.
IF the install was performed over a legitimate previous version of Windows (Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 w/update) the activation should have been automatic and no other user input should have been required with respect to adding or changing or in anyway altering the Product Key.
You may have to roll back to Windows 7 (if that option is even still available to you) and start over again, especially if Microsoft was unable to help with the issue. I can certainly understand the frustration.

Reaction score
Sorry if my total frustration with MS was evident from my last posting.
The activation Window does not show status or product key. It simply shows the error messages per my earlier posting this afternoon.
In searching the internet, the activation issue is quite a common problem with different error codes and is known to MS but with no clear resolution.
MS support gave me a number to call in UK but the number does not exist. Do you have a UK support contact?

P.S. The install was over a legitimate version of Win7 SP1. MS Support have checked the Product Activation Key is a valid one but could or would not tell me whether it was Activated. I assumed this key was rolled forward into Win10.

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass .... I've had a look at my laptop Win10 and it does show Win10 is Activated with a digital entitlement. I therefore assume Win10 is not Activated on the desktop PC and this is probably also the root cause of the updating problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As an experiment, to make sure that this is a global issue and that there is not something wrong with your user profile that is resulting in what you are seeing, can you take the time to create a new user as a member of the local administrators group (not a standard user). Then log off as you and log on as the new user you just created and see if the problem persists.
Might be worth a try.

Reaction score
The Windows 10 install looks for a valid, activated copy of the qualified OS. After that the Windows 7 key is disabled and can not be used to upgrade another install.

If Trouble's suggestion does not offer some relief then it appears rolling back to windows 7 or reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch might be required so you can go through the upgrade again. This is one option in the link provided as well as mentioned by Trouble.

Reaction score
Hi Folks …. There are too many unexplained / illogical things happening. I wonder if it is time to cut our losses and consider a re-installation. For example:

1. The Control Panel --> Network & Sharing Centre says I am not currently connected to any networks, but I am browsing the Web OK and receiving / sending email. There are 2 WIFI adaptors, a Qualcom Atheros card and an external Ralink USB WIFI adaptor.

2. I Followed ‘Troubles’ advice on changing to Private network but the last part just did not exist i.e. no slider and the section ‘Make this PC discoverable’ did not appear. (Under ‘Advance Options’). It appears OK on my Win10 laptop.

3. I also followed the suggestion to create and log into another User Account with Admin privileges.

I went into Settings / Accounts / Family and other Users / Other Users / Add someone else to this PC.

Got a Window headed “Something went wrong. Try again or tap cancel to set up your device later”. Tried several times.

If you agree that a re-install is overdue will you please advise what are the best options, e.g.:

1. Should I download the ISO file again (I already have latest build download on DVD)

2. Should I re-run setup and install over the existing faulty Win10.

3. Should I restore Win7 from backup and run setup to start the upgrade from scratch?

4. Should I do a clean install of Win10 from the DVD ... if so, will it ask for and accept the original Win7 Product Key (MS confirm this is a good valid key).

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The first thing that I would do is make sure that all my critical data on the computer was safely backed up to an external resource. I would probably also make a disk image just to be on the safe side.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
Should I re-run setup and install over the existing faulty Win10.
That would probably be my first choice after backing up everything.

Installation latest media can be obtained here
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

If you already have the ISO you can simply mount it from within Windows 10 and run setup.exe from there.

Neosmart has a pretty good article on it here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/
You can skip the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their recovery CDs and drill down to the meat of the article below.

Reaction score
Hi .... I decided to cut my losses and do a complete clean re-install of Win10. After downloading the ISO file again, the install took only 32 mins. Of course I did have to re-install all my apps and re-do all my customising but made easier as all my data was on a separate HDD. It has proved worthwhile. Win10 is now activated OK and I am getting updates.
I really appreciate your efforts to help solve the problems and I've learned a lot from you.

Is it now possible to delete this thread as I'm not sure our exchanges would be of help to others?

Ask a Question