SOLVED Computers not appearing on the Network Map after installation of Version 1511 (KB3103688)

Reaction score
function discovery resource publication, starting this service on a windows 7 machine, made it viewable on network map.
Shutting of and restarting on a windows 10 machine, plus restarting Homegroup provider, since shutting off the first killed the homegroup provider. now windows 10 shows up on the network map

on windows 7 machine fdrp was set to manual, I set to automatic after starting the s going forward I hope it works, on windows 10 the service fdrp was running and set to auto, so it may be each time I restart the windows 10 device I may have to redo this procedure, I haven't rebooted yet so I don't know for sure

Reaction score
I know this is a bit old thread but just wanted to share a solution that I found worked for me. The other computers on the network won't show if the computer name is not in ALL capital letters.

NOTE: To make this "fix" a little more difficult, changing to the same name in caps doesn't gets registered as something new. So first change the name by adding a letter or number at the end. Reboot. Then once again change the name back to the original but in all capital letters. The changes are done from properties of "computer" and then change settings.

So for example, name right now is: Laptop

First change name to LAPTOP1 and reboot.

Change name back to LAPTOP and reboot. Make sure the other computers are also named in capital letters. Then everythin should show. And when I say name I changed so all three (computer name, full computer name and computer description) has the same name.

I don't know if it works for everybody, I was sceptical myself, but after rebooting that last time all my computers and media devices showed up immediately.

Hope this helps somebody!

Reaction score
I've been having no end of trouble since the latest win10 update, including Internet and network issues. I was having problems too seeing my PCs under network... however I think I may have fixed it and all I did was change the workgroup for both my PCs. To do this you need to right click 'this pc' and select properties. This will display info about your PC and under computer name, domain and workgroup settings you can change the workgroup. Click change settings, then under the first tab (computer name) you'll see at the bottom it says 'to rename this computer' you click change here and then change the name of the workgroup and click OK. You'll need to use the same name I think on all machines and they will need restarting to take effect. But this resolved that one issue for me.... Unfortunately have several other issues that have happened during the new win10 update too. Wasted two days, and lost a lot of money due to Microsoft.

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has figured out what the problem is or how to solve it. Actually after looking at this problem (which I myself had) I discovered what the problem is and a very quick easy way of working around it. It is so simple that I wonder why Microsoft hasn't figured out the problem and fixed it. This is what the problem is and here also is the work around for it. It works every time in Windows 10. Haven't tried it yet in other versions of Windows because I only have the problem with Win 10.

The reason that Network devices won't show up most of the time is because Windows Explorer is loading too fast when it is opened and can't access the Network devices before it's internal time out. Here is a quick and easy work around to easily get your Network devices to display in the "Network" in Windows Explorer. Do the following. After going into Windows open Windows Explorer. You will see a pull down bar on the right of the folders. Wait a few seconds till this bar jumps up to the top of Explorer. Then pull the bar down to "Network". You will notice that nothing is there (or maybe one or two things). In the Left panel click on "Network" to highlight it. Now here is the work around that nobody seems to do. Simply click on the "Refresh" button and in a few seconds all your missing devices and computers will appear in "Network". To do this whole process only takes a few seconds and you must do it each time you start your computer. It no big deal to do this but it would be nice if Microsoft would fix this. It's easy for them to add a fast refresh or a delay before Network searches for devices. With all their Experienced programmers with Master degrees they can't do this? I don't even have a HS diploma and it only took me less than two minutes to figure this out. I hope this helps some of you. I know it might not work in everyone's computer, but if you have your Network settings set up correctly, then it should definitely work.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Your links tell you how to get Windows 7 computers to show up on Win 10 computers, but what about NAS Clouds like WDCloud? The links you get does not tell you how to get other types of devices that are not Windows 7 Computers to appear in Network in Win 10.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Could be several things for that, the usual culprit (and not a bug or issue to be solved by fixing something), usually if said devices are already booted and up before the Windows 10 computer is booted.

I've experienced that many times, and I usually solve it by typing the network address for that device in file explorer, this works immediately, after some time Windows LLTD starts to kick in by itself.

Best solution is powercycle devices, servers up first (what NAS is), PC's after and there should be no issues.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well all I have to say is that it's faster to simply hit the refresh button on Network. I've tried putting in the IP address for one of my WDClouds and that was the only one that showed up. I have four of them and I'm not going to put in four ip addresses each time I boot up a Win 10 computer. I simply hit the refresh. It's lots faster.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
The problem is, if the servers/Nas's were booted up before than the PC, hitting refresh most often does nothing x nothing. Rarely works, but it does work sometimes.

But thanks for your feedback, even it it was for a year old topic.

Reaction score

Clearly you have not read all the replies that say "None of these solutions worked for me."

However, my particular version of this problem, a private network of three Win 10 computers, after Creators Update, one computer not showing in any network map, not even its own, but seeing the other two computers ... tried various resets, and thennetcfg -d Expected all my network settings to be defaulted by that, but they weren't, so as a random act of desperation I enabled network discovery in the guest/public section. The PC reappeared on all network maps. That didn't make sense to me, but not complaining. Probably won't work for all, but did for me. Good luck with this one.

Reaction score
It says solved at the top, no this has not been solved.
The last solution did not work. As a matter of fact I have one computer that doesn't see itself in the network (that is a bit weird) yet everything shows up if I run IP Scanner and can connect through that.

Reaction score
This is trick I learned through trial and error. I have spent months doing all the things that I could find on the net and nothing worked. I have seven windows 10 computers on a home network and this has worked for me great. Follow these steps.

1. Shut down all computers on the network.

2. Bring up any one, just one, your choice. That one will be the Master Browser and will show all the computers.

3. Then bring all the other computers up online.

4. Go back to the first one that shows all the computers. Do a right mouse button on them one at a time and create a shortcut on your desktop.

5. Create a folder and copy all the shortcuts into that folder, name it what you like.

6. Copy that folder to each one of your network computers. Then click on the computer you want and map whichever drive you want. Any mapped drive will always be in File Explorer. Or just go to the folder and click on the computer you want access.

Hope this helps any other almost bald person who has been pulling out their hair.

gab

Reaction score
Hey, I found a link to a solution that worked for me.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sh...d-my-missing-network-homegroup-computers.html

Here was the solution:

After the Win 10 Threshold 2 Upgrade, many users are having Networking issues, especially not being able to see other PC's on the network in File Explorer's Network panel and Homegroup panel.

I have 3 Laptops on my network and encountered this issue and have spent several days tweaking all sorts of settings and trying many solutions I saw online. Finally one worked and now I can see all 3 Laptops in each panel in the Network section and all 3 Laptops in each panel in the Homegroup section. So everything is back to functioning properly.

This is what worked for me:

Open the services menu by clicking start and then typing 'services.msc' and pressing enter.

Look for the following services in the list:

· DNS Client
· Function Discovery Provider Host
· Function Discovery Resource Publication
· Peer Networking Grouping
· HomeGroup Provider
· HomeGroup Listener
· SSDP Discovery
· UPnP Device Host

1. I reset each of these settings FROM "Manual" TO "Automatic" one by one.

2. Right after doing each of those changes, I RESTARTED each service.

3. On two of the Laptops I had to LEAVE the Homegroup and REJOIN it.

4. I shut down all the Laptops and restarted each back up one at a time, starting with my primary Laptop which was the creator of the Homegroup.

Everything is displaying perfectly now!

The only other change today was I got this Cumulative Update which updated Win 10 on all 3 Laptops.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3118754)

I'm not sure if that KB3118754 update had a part in helping fix things or not, but the update did install before things started working again and I did these changes above after the update.

Win 10 is definitely quite a bit of work to maintain compared to prior versions of Windows, and you have to be really tech savvy to know what to do when things stop functioning. I can't imagine how users who don't have tech mind skills are handling it.

Good Luck to those having this networking issue. There are a ton of users experiencing problems, so Threshold 2 definitely has serious networking bugs.

thanks so much this helped me and I can see back my PC again on Win10 Home 16299.125 - was going nuts with this! well done!!!

Reaction score
Hey, I found a link to a solution that worked for me.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sh...d-my-missing-network-homegroup-computers.html

Here was the solution:

After the Win 10 Threshold 2 Upgrade, many users are having Networking issues, especially not being able to see other PC's on the network in File Explorer's Network panel and Homegroup panel.

I have 3 Laptops on my network and encountered this issue and have spent several days tweaking all sorts of settings and trying many solutions I saw online. Finally one worked and now I can see all 3 Laptops in each panel in the Network section and all 3 Laptops in each panel in the Homegroup section. So everything is back to functioning properly.

This is what worked for me:

Open the services menu by clicking start and then typing 'services.msc' and pressing enter.

Look for the following services in the list:

· DNS Client
· Function Discovery Provider Host
· Function Discovery Resource Publication
· Peer Networking Grouping
· HomeGroup Provider
· HomeGroup Listener
· SSDP Discovery
· UPnP Device Host

1. I reset each of these settings FROM "Manual" TO "Automatic" one by one.

2. Right after doing each of those changes, I RESTARTED each service.

3. On two of the Laptops I had to LEAVE the Homegroup and REJOIN it.

4. I shut down all the Laptops and restarted each back up one at a time, starting with my primary Laptop which was the creator of the Homegroup.

Everything is displaying perfectly now!

The only other change today was I got this Cumulative Update which updated Win 10 on all 3 Laptops.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3118754)

I'm not sure if that KB3118754 update had a part in helping fix things or not, but the update did install before things started working again and I did these changes above after the update.

Win 10 is definitely quite a bit of work to maintain compared to prior versions of Windows, and you have to be really tech savvy to know what to do when things stop functioning. I can't imagine how users who don't have tech mind skills are handling it.

Good Luck to those having this networking issue. There are a ton of users experiencing problems, so Threshold 2 definitely has serious networking bugs.

This is a definite fix for me, although being the latest build it does not have HOMEGROUP services. The problem existed on ALL my PC's of varying kinds.

I find it astounding that Microsoft has issued so many updates with this setup fault in place. If this fix doesn't work for you I suggest you go through the procedure as detailed in the LINK again step by step. You may see that some of the services say they are running but are still set to Manual. Change ABD restart them. When done RESTART you computers.

I did and it worked perfectly. . . . .the computers did not show immediately. . . .RESTART.

Cheers all,
Chinga

Reaction score
None of the "cures" mentioned have worked for me. Not for long.

I have no homegroups.

Purely a network problem for me, where computers are not visible in the network pane, but network pc shortcuts i have on the desktop function easily.

Seems to happen after every Win10 update so far. Sometimes clears up, but recurrs with the next update.

Resetting Winsock just made the host pc disappear from the network pane tonight.

Reaction score
Referring back to Chinga's post. The thread is out of date and, further, was marked as solved. There have been new builds since this thread was started. I would suggest to anyone till encountering a similar problem, that you create a new thread.

Ask a Question