SOLVED Computers not appearing on the Network Map after installation of Version 1511 (KB3103688)

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the computers not showing up under "File Explorer / Network" after the 1511 update.

I discovered you can manually find and access the computers if you remove the word "Network" from the address bar and type: " \\NetworkComputerName " (without quotes), .

I then created shortcuts to the individual computers for easy future access.
This is a temporary work-around until Microsoft fixes this problem.

Reaction score
I tried resetting the Services as rzhj8s suggested and to my amazement it worked and I could see all the Win 10 computers on the network and could map the network drives. Then a short time later it started reverting to its old problems and when I went back into services and reset them it is now asking me for a password to see the other computers. It's crazy because for me the problem comes and goes and even after spending hours with a remote MS Tech it's still not working. This has happened after the 1511 update like has many others. What's the deal with it now asking for password when I don't have any because it is open sharing?

Reaction score
I have just spent 2 hours on a charity's computers that cant see each other, and the 2nd computer can only read but not write the files on the main computer. Driving me nuts. Tried the services solution, no result. The computers dont see each other, dont see 2 printers, then see them intermitantly. Nightmare!!! Windows 10 has taken a week of my time in the last 3 months just on these 2 computers, with bug after bug. Its a disgrace in my opinion

Reaction score
David. aside from what I mentioned above I decided to set up a Home Group in addition to the Work Group (which shouldn't be necessary) and now I can see all work groups and map network drives without a problem. It's been 6 days since I tried the Homegroup and so far everything connects seamlessly.

Reaction score
David. aside from what I mentioned above I decided to set up a Home Group in addition to the Work Group (which shouldn't be necessary) and now I can see all work groups and map network drives without a problem. It's been 6 days since I tried the Homegroup and so far everything connects seamlessly.
Thanks for the clue. I now have a mixed network of Vista, 8, and 10 machines. But when I added the 10 PC it failed to see the 8 PC, although I could see the Vista PCs fine. ("See" to me means both the PC icon and its shares.) I always thought it was either/or: if you have one Vista PC, then don't use Homegroup on 7, 8, or 10. So many years ago I decided to not even try Homegroup Networking and had even disabled it in Services. Thanks to your comment, I decided to re-enable Homegroup on 10, but I discovered I could not see any files to share from Windows 10, so next I re-enabled it on 8 as well. Windows 10 still wouldn't let me create a home group, but to my surprise, I could finally see the 8 pc from the 10 pc using old fashioned networking, not the Homegroup. (I still get the 1231 error message using net view, but it doesn't matter if networking is working normally.)

Reaction score
Ronc, I had a similar situation with non Win 10 machines and a couple of others that were Win 10. As soon as I upgraded to 10 and 10 did the 1511 update about a month ago the s^&t hit the fan and they all acted up. Eventually I got them working like they should with the above changes.

Reaction score
After upgrading to Windows 10 Version 1511, several of the computers on my home network are not showing up on the Network Map. The same missing computers are also in my Homegroup, and I can access the shared Homegroup files with no problems and the missing computers are shown .

Its definetelly a Windows bug, Ive got it on half of my domain Windows 10 computers. Cannot see computers in network including servers. Only thing that worked for me was rollback to previous build. Computers were back again in network list.

Reaction score
This thread is old, but still seems relevant, so here's what I've found. It's not a direct fix for the issue, but it worked for practical purposes. I couldn't see my WD MyCloud on the new laptop, purchased for my daughter for xmas. It had windows 10 installed as soon as we opened it. I could see the cloud on my older W10 laptop, but not on hers. As of a week or so ago, I lost it on mine as well. I was able to access it on both laptops via the \\networkname address and created a shortcut on her computer. I recently did the same with mine, but was not satisfied. What I have done, and it works for me, was enter into the folder via the \\networkname, and clicked on the easy access ribbon at the top of the window. It allowed me to create a "drive" using the server user folder as the drive location "x:" I actually might like this method better than having the drive just open to anybody who may gain access to my network.

Reaction score
The gremlins have returned. I think it had something to do with an update around 1/21/16 but just speculating. I can't see other computers on the network but yet I can access the other drives through some shortcuts I had. I got a hold of Microsoft Support and they fumbled around for several hours and then decided the send it to level 2 which hasn't done much good. Everything was working fine and then it dumped on me again. It's pretty sad that Support acts like they don't know the problem when it is so widespread.

Reaction score
The gremlins have returned. I think it had something to do with an update around 1/21/16 but just speculating. I can't see other computers on the network but yet I can access the other drives through some shortcuts I had. I got a hold of Microsoft Support and they fumbled around for several hours and then decided the send it to level 2 which hasn't done much good. Everything was working fine and then it dumped on me again. It's pretty sad that Support acts like they don't know the problem when it is so widespread.

Check Windows Update (advanced) The last group of updates should be patch Tuesday 1/12/16, not the 21st. Correct?

Reaction score
Had similar issues on previous OSes and it was a re-director issue. Go to your NIC properties, uninstall the Client for Microsoft Networks, reboot and re-install.

Reaction score
Check Windows Update (advanced) The last group of updates should be patch Tuesday 1/12/16, not the 21st. Correct?
I can't see that update or seem to find it. I tried what the post below said about the NIC and that seemed to work. I'd still like patch if possible.
Had similar issues on previous OSes and it was a re-director issue. Go to your NIC properties, uninstall the Client for Microsoft Networks, reboot and re-install.

Reaction score
I had the same issue with the computers not showing up under "File Explorer / Network" after the 1511 update.

I discovered you can manually find and access the computers if you remove the word "Network" from the address bar and type: " \\NetworkComputerName " (without quotes), .

This is the most useful suggestion I've read on the topic. I have a NAS that appears and disappears at its own will. When not listed, I type the network path as suggested (anyway, it remains in the drop-down menu). It works even with network-accessing tools (Beyond Compare, e.g.).

Reaction score
Seems I had a very buggy install of Windows 10 (was an early adopter). I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall it. Everything went fine, but could not see all of the network computers. I needed to see the Essentials R2 server so I could map the drives. I don't know how to do that in Group Policy. I tried all of the fixes on this page and many other pages. The server name would pop up briefly, but when I closed File Explorer, the server name would disappear the next time I opened file explorer.

So today I was trying more things again and just happened to Right Click on This PC. I saw "Add a network location" and thought it could not be this easy, could it? So I followed the wizard. The wizard would not let me just type \\servername\. The error message said "Windows requires a share to publish to. Please try another location." I knew the exact name of a a share or two so I typed \\servername\sharename\, hit next and the wizard asked to type a name for this location. I allowed the default, hit next and after a second or two the share folders showed up on the screen. But more important the name of the server showed up as a network share under the Network heading in the left column. I quickly mapped the drives that I needed using the browse button.

More important still I had a new Windows 10 laptop that also needed drive mapped. I could not see the server under the Network on the laptop. I repeated the same procedure. This time the server required an admin name and password, but I had no problems. Now this trick of seeing the server did not persist when other instances of "File explorer" were opened, but I now have the functionality I needed and I am pretty sure I can repeat the task on the other computer I have to transition to Windows 10.

Reaction score
My pc and the network I'm on was working fine for almost a month and then 3 days ago my start menu wouldn't open either by clicking or using the Windows key also about half the icons on my desktop disappeared and the balance reorganized into a grid in a random order and I can't see a couple of the computers on my network. Last but not least the system started running slow. I have Premium Assured Support from Microsoft so I started a chat with them to fix it. Having a similar problem after the 1511 update they started doing all the obvious things they did in the past including adding a new user and reinstalling Windows 10 but leaving my files etc in tact. Long story short, I still have the problem(s) and they don't know what to do despite the fact that there are several blogs dating back to 2014 with similar problems with both the network and start menu. I check to see if maybe an update was done at that time and there wasn't so this just popped up out of the blue. Anybody else with similar happenings?

Reaction score
I was able to get my main desktop to show on the network although the two other computers still don't show after they've rebooted unless I restart the 'Function Discovery Resource Publication' Service on them. On my main desktop, I reformatted the drive then did a completely clean install of Windows 10 after making sure all of my data was backed up (you need to make sure you have kept your Windows product key to activate - you can get your product key by downloading and running a program called ProduKey.exe - Google it or see http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/produkey.html). After the clean install of Windows 10, I completely re-installed all of my programs. At least for my main desktop computer, the problem seems to have been solved and the computer is always shown on the Network map. I suppose I could do the same process for the other two devices that have the problem but it's a lot of work, lol). On the main desktop, I've also had some minor issues with programs that used to work fine with Windows 10 now exhibiting some minor glitches, but I'm working on getting those resolved.

Reaction score
I have noticed the same problem, I can see some users on the network but the actual machine I'm after (which we all use as a backup) cant be seen.

When I try to manually access it by typing \\COMPUTERNAME it says it cant connect and then runs a diagnostic.

Which the typical thing for windows is, you do the diagnostic and it claims no errors were found..... if I then type \\COMPUTERNAME hey presto I can access the machine on the network.

I have a feeling its to do with the network and sharing centre settings, all the machines (Windows7) the network is set to workplace, yet Windows10 is set to private network, yet the others are set to workplace.

its stupid that Microsoft cant make anything stable anymore, its operating system WINDOWS10 is harder than needed to be, now you have multiple ways of accessing the same thing, yes Microsoft lets make your default way limited and restricting you the full options available (which you require).

It cant handle multiple displays properly, I have to keep fannying about pressing windows+P key each time I log in

lets not mention its so called cloud storage - sharpoint, useless pile of Cr@p sits hidden away failing to warn of sync issues and has no information on the cause other than its based on the recycled groove.exe which was microsofts first attempt at cloud storage many years ago which failed because it wasn't able to do its job.... so they save dolla and recycle it!

Forcing Edge also as its default browser - excellent lets use a basic mobile app browser that's delayed, has limited features and using outlook website is dreadful.

overall I like the feel of W10 but jesus MS fix your OS and apps before you release it

Reaction score
If your issue is that your machine is on w10 and the other machines on the network are W7 then here is a working solution I found.

On the machine running W7 go to Network and Sharing Centre, then to your left you will see, Change adapter settings, click this.

You should see your adapter (either WAN or LAN) right click your connection type and select Properties.

Scroll down to Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.

In the General tab keep everything as automatic and at the bottom there is a Advanced button, click this and a new window will open.

You will have three tabs: IP Settings, DNS and WINS, ignore the first two tabs and click WINS tab and have the following selected:

[x] Enable LMHOSTS lookup
NetBIOS setting:
[x] Default - do not select this, leave it blank

[x] Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
[x] Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Click Ok to close the windows then close to close your connection type.

Now head over to your machine running W10 and go to your Network and hey presto, the machine running W7 should be visible and accessible on your network.

Darren

Reaction score
Hey, I found a link to a solution that worked for me.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sh...d-my-missing-network-homegroup-computers.html

Here was the solution:

After the Win 10 Threshold 2 Upgrade, many users are having Networking issues, especially not being able to see other PC's on the network in File Explorer's Network panel and Homegroup panel.

I have 3 Laptops on my network and encountered this issue and have spent several days tweaking all sorts of settings and trying many solutions I saw online. Finally one worked and now I can see all 3 Laptops in each panel in the Network section and all 3 Laptops in each panel in the Homegroup section. So everything is back to functioning properly.

This is what worked for me:

Open the services menu by clicking start and then typing 'services.msc' and pressing enter.

Look for the following services in the list:

· DNS Client
· Function Discovery Provider Host
· Function Discovery Resource Publication
· Peer Networking Grouping
· HomeGroup Provider
· HomeGroup Listener
· SSDP Discovery
· UPnP Device Host

1. I reset each of these settings FROM "Manual" TO "Automatic" one by one.

2. Right after doing each of those changes, I RESTARTED each service.

3. On two of the Laptops I had to LEAVE the Homegroup and REJOIN it.

4. I shut down all the Laptops and restarted each back up one at a time, starting with my primary Laptop which was the creator of the Homegroup.

Everything is displaying perfectly now!

The only other change today was I got this Cumulative Update which updated Win 10 on all 3 Laptops.

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3118754)

I'm not sure if that KB3118754 update had a part in helping fix things or not, but the update did install before things started working again and I did these changes above after the update.

Win 10 is definitely quite a bit of work to maintain compared to prior versions of Windows, and you have to be really tech savvy to know what to do when things stop functioning. I can't imagine how users who don't have tech mind skills are handling it.

Good Luck to those having this networking issue. There are a ton of users experiencing problems, so Threshold 2 definitely has serious networking bugs.
Hello, this solution worked like a charm for me. We have small office with 4 PC-s (3xWIN10 and server with win7), and the problem was that initialy we could see server, but after some updates server was only visible via shortucts from server, which we made initialy. If u wanted to see it via windows explore, it was not visible. Then i switched all services stated here to automatic on all pc-s, including server and it worked like a charm after reset. Thanks again :)

Ask a Question