Conflicting processes

Reaction score
I'm logged in as built-in administrator. I'm trying to use the rename function in the cmd.exe window. Every time I try, I get this message: "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." File Explorer is closed. How do I figure out what process I need to end in order for rename to work?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hi Nardar21,

are you talking about renaming the computer or a user account?. :)

Control Panel > System > Advanced Setting > Computer Name
1593329310728.png

Control Panel > User Accounts > Change your account name
1593329360804.png

Reaction score
I want to change my User Account name, specifically what shows in the File Explorer tree. My name in the large font is fine in Control Panel, but File Explorer shows that account using the first part of the email address of my Microsoft account.

For example:
Control Panel shows
Line 1: Jane Doe
Line 2: (e-mail address removed)
Line 3: Administrator
Line 4: Password protected

File Explorer shows
C:\Users\squirrel

I get the "process being used by another program when I try C:\users\rename "squirrel" "jdoe" in the cmd.exe window.
That's what I'm trying to sort out.

Reaction score
I get the "process being used by another program when I try C:\users\rename "squirrel" "jdoe" in the cmd.exe window.
I am not sure but I would think that is because you are using an MS account and not a local one?. :) If you don't need to use your MS account, I would switch it to a local account which might be better for you?????. I am only guessing here btw!. :eek:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It's not easy nor simple and can result in unintended consequences, but...
See if this helps at all

Reaction score
Wolfie - I am using my Microsoft account. One question: will changing to a local account affect access to all the computers on our home network? I'm having big issues with that too and don't want to add another variable to the mix.

Trouble - Thanks for this. If Wolfie's suggestion to move to a Local account isn't an option due to network issues, this solution makes sense to try. My concern is that I'm working with Windows10 Pro. The author says there are 6 ways to do this in Pro, which is why he focuses on Home. However, I've tried every way I can find to do the rename, and nothing has worked. Going to the built-in administrator is the only remaining option, as far as I can tell. Do you have any idea if this process can also apply to Pro?

Reaction score
Hi Nardar21,

the link that @Trouble posted does give ample warning about the dangers of switching account names, I cannot say that simply switching to a local account will solve the problem and/or won't cause a problem with your network setup????.

You can add an account and keep the MS account too but before you do anything, BACK UP ALL YOUR FILES TO A DATA HUB OR USB STICK/STORAGE MEDIA FOR THAT JUST IN CASE SCENARIO!.

Once you have created a new account, you might want to make it Admin but I really don't know how you will fare as I have never done it!. Read the link Trouble posted very carefully!. :)

Ask a Question