Connecting Home Group network to wifi printer

Reaction score
Have looked through similar posts/questions but not finding the perfect answer, or an answer that means anything to us!

We have 2 PCs (Windows 10) connected to a modem. Printer is not responding to either computer.
The PCs are "stating" they're connected to different networks, though we've created a Home Group and added them both to it.
We've done the complete Wizard set-up on the printer, have correct password from modem, correct IP address, etc. etc.
In other words, we've done everything we know how to do.
HELP please?

It's hard running a business without a communicative printer!!!

Reaction score
How are the PCs connected to the modem, which I presume is a router.

The make and model of the router/modem and some details of the PC s would be useful here. Also the printer.

The 'separate network' might well be a clue

My home setup has 3 PCs all connected to one WiFi printer and it all works so it is not impossible!

Reaction score
It may not be relevant, but What build are you currently using? Homegroup was dropped in the later builds, which, as Tim says, ,might be a clue to the separate network.

Reaction score
It may not be relevant, but What build are you currently using? Homegroup was dropped in the later builds, which, as Tim says, ,might be a clue to the separate network.
My machines are on 1709 and the network settings page still offers a homegroup ??

Reaction score
Not sure when it stopped, it certainly isn't in the 1803. Not too important. The setup is pretty much identical to the network setup.
But, for the OP, what does it show in settings - devices -Printers and scanners?
If the printers are there, I would remove them and do a new search for them again.

Last edited:
Reaction score
My machines are on 1709 and the network settings page still offers a homegroup ??

Thanks Tim and Davehc too. Hoping it's ok to reply to both in one!

We've successfully operated with 2 PCs hardwired to the modem router, 2 laptops and 2 iPads connected to the modem router via wifi for a number of years, all being able to print with the wifi printer. So we know it's not impossible. It's only in the last couple of weeks there's been any problem.

Modem router is TP-Link VR 500v. We've been on NBN for about 6 mths. Recently had some problems with the original modem of same make and model. In the replacement process we entered new modem password in all devices.

Previously that's all we've needed for everything to function perfectly!

PCs are identical. Were hand built by our previous computer support person who has moved overseas.

We're running Windows 10 and in Settings the Ethernet shows Network 8 on one PC and Network 9 on the other. We can't work out how to delete or change these Networks.

Ask a Question