Washed out colors on Windows 10 when connecting/removing USB or bluetooth device

Reaction score
Every time I connect an USB/remove an USB, or connect a bluetooth device to my computer, the screen changes from normal colors to more washed-out colors. This happens every time, and the only way to restore the colors is to put the computer to sleep and then start it up again. This has been an annoyance for months, and every time I connect a bluetooth headset, it stays with the washed-out colors constantly.

I have Windows 10.

Do you guys have any insight/solutions to this problem?

Left part of the picture shows normal colors, right the washed-out colors.

Attachments

• Screenbeforeafterchange.jpg
    Screenbeforeafterchange.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 749
Reaction score
No information is given about the computer but a few things come to mind, one is the amount of RAM/Random Access Memory that is installed, the amount of RAM the video card or onboard adapter is using/has available, whether the drive is being plugged into a USB 2 or a USB 3 port.

Reaction score
I have both USB 2 and 3 ports, and this happens every time I plug it into any of the ports.
I have an ASUS X550J laptop.

Reaction score
Could be a power issue, does it happen when on battery only or on the AC adapter? Have you tried a Self-Powered USB Hub? To assure reliability and transfer speed with USB 3 everything needs to be rated/marked as SS/SuperSpeed.

Reaction score
Does it happen when using Wi-Fi to connect to the Wireless Router? Reason I ask is the mention of Bluetooth, that adapter is usually part of the Wireless adapter in Notebooks. Does it happen if Wireless is turned off, may be a switch on the Notebook or an Fn + another F key that toggles Wireless off or on or maybe on some it may be only an F key by itself. Try plugging the USB device in with the Wireless off.

Some Notebooks have a separate interface device between the motherboard and the display panel and some have it built onto the motherboard itself so it could still be a power issue.

Note: the Wireless adapter, memory modules and hard drive or SSD are normally the only parts easily replaced.

Reaction score
It happens if wireless is turned on and off.
And also, whenever I install or uninstall something on my laptop, the same washed-out coloring takes place.

Reaction score
I had this issue - turned out to be a bad color calibration. To fix, run "Calibrate display color" and go through the calibration process, first by just going through the calibration sequence but not adjusting anything to get back the default calibration values. Then at the step where it compares your previous and new calibration values, see if you like the new values better before accepting it.

Ask a Question