Squiggles/lines/colors/circles

Reaction score
Win 10 is now on two computers in our household. Both computer screens are full of squiggles, lines, colors and circles. Can't read anything on the screen. Yesterday it would clear for a minute or two and then would again go into the colored squiggles, which made it impossible to do anything. I've tried everything today, including reinstalling Win 10 on both computers. It seemed to be better for about 30 minutes and then started up all over again, and is even worse than it was before! I'm so frustrated and need help! Please and thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
My suggestion would be to use Safe Mode to determine if there is a problem with the driver for your GPU.
Use either the power button available on the Login screen or by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart your computer while holding down the Shift Key.
After the "Wait" screen you should get a "Troubleshoot" ICON, the an "Advanced" options ICON, then a "Startup" settings ICON, then a "Restart" BUTTON.
Use those and then choose #4 for Safe Mode
If that resolves the issue then you likely need to determine which GPU you are using and acquire the proper driver either from the Computer Manufacturer's website, or perhaps from the Device Manufacturer's website.

Reaction score
Hello Noob and thank you for answering. However, that didn't help. I'm about ready to revert to 7. Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated. I've never encountered anything even close to this before. Help!!

Both are Dells, if that helps.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I was pretty sure that, that might help.
The fact that they are Dells doesn't suggest anything in particular to me.
Are you certain that you do not have a screen saver configured or a desktop background slide show configured that may be producing the issue, due to a possible missing or corrupt file?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I, like you, have never seen nor heard of a similar problem as you are describing
Squiggles/lines/colors/circles
I can advise that many people have had issues with the upgrade on many different computers as a result of......
#1 Peripheral hardware attached to the computer. USB Dongles (Bluetooth, other RF or IR wireless devices, etc.,) So if you have anything like that attached you might want to try removing everything extraneous and just go with a monitor, USB Keyboard and USB Mouse and see if that provides any relief.
#2 Third party software, running at startup (although I would have thought that a safe mode boot would have resolved most of those). There are some instances in the case of third party security suites, where even a safe mode boot will not completely disable them or their associated drivers and uninstalling them completely has been necessary to get past a related problem.

Reverting back to your previous operating system if of course always (at least for 30 days post upgrade) an option, although many people have reported less than optimal results after having done so.
Sometimes it works like a charm and sometimes..... not so much.
I would certainly make every attempt to make sure I had all my critical data backed up before resorting to that option.

Reaction score
Neighbor came over and resolved the problem... I hope. Need to give it more time but so far, so good!

Thank you very much for attempting to help!

Hopefully, I'll be able to click "Solved" by the end of the day.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Neighbor came over and resolved the problem
First of all, I hope you rewarded him with an ice cold beer or other beverage of his choosing.
Second.......
Care to share how he magically accomplished it?

Reaction score
Are you kidding me... lol... I'm making him dinner!

I had a feeling you were going to ask me what he did. The prob is he is a computer geek and will give me vague answers that honestly, I don't understand or I would have fixed it myself in the first place. :)

I'll ask him 'gently' tonight. If I get an answer I actually understand, I will post it.

It's been almost two hours and so far it's without those crazy colors and circles. Happy Days!

Thanks again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'll ask him 'gently' tonight. If I get an answer I actually understand, I will post it.
Ply him with alcohol and when he is blubbering the answer, maybe you can secretly record him. :)

Seriously though, it might actually help others with the same or similar issue.
Plus, I'm extremely curious and always eager to learn from another "geek".

Reaction score
I'll get back to you tonight... around 9:00 California time. Just bought a wonderful bottle of wine. We'll see what happens. lol

Reaction score
Computer geek neighbor said he had to go back to Win 7 and remove "garbage"! Then reinstall Win 10 again. Something about the router too.

Something still isn't right... started doing the same thing about 15 minutes ago but has stopped now. Just said I wasn't connected to the router, but when I went in to look it said I was connected. The squiggles have stopped again. This is plain weird. I may have to "bug" him again tomorrow night.

Ask a Question