Dual Screen horizontal lines and tearing

Reaction score
Hello All

I have a dual screen setup, with my desktop extended to a second monitor. A week or so after updating windows 10 with the creators update my dual screen set up is experiencing a large horizontal line traveling up one of my displays with shaking below. I have attached an image.

137297d1496096087t-dual-screen-horizontal-lines-tearing-screen-tearing.jpg

This first happened on my primary display (29" Asus connect with display port). After rebooting the tearing then moved over to my secondary display where it has remained for the last week intermittently. (Samsung 22" connected with a VGA to DVI adapter). Both Monitors are connected to my ATI R9 270.

I have ruled out the display hardware as this issue goes away in safe mode. If I set my computer to only use one display either the 22" or 29", the issue is gone. I have also connected to another computer (mac book pro) and the tearing does not persist.

Other things I have tried:

• Reboot
  • Shut down
  • Pulled power cords from monitors and pc for 30 minutes
  • Update graphics card driver
  • Reinstall graphic card driver
  • Try different connectors
  • Uninstall display device in hardware manager

Any and all help is appreciated as this one is really driving my nuts!

Reaction score
Perform a restore, back to before the Creator update or roll back to see if the problem still persists.

Reaction score
hold of on the restore yet. If you switch the monitors (monitor 1 becomes the extended, monitor two becomes the main) do you have the same problem??
If after the switch the main monitor shows the problem, it is not a Windows issue but your monitor has gone bad (specifically the panel). I have seen this issue with TV's for years now.....

Reaction score
@ Grizzly, The issue moved to my main display after following your instructions. I don't think its the monitor as the issue goes away if I stop extending my desktop across both monitors.

Reaction score
Windows update may have updated your drivers. Have you tried rolling back the graphics card drivers, easily undone.

Reaction score
Yes I Uninstalled the driver completely, then reinstalled. Going back a version didn't help either.

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that, it looks like you have attempted everything.
Restore may have solved your problem. Personally I would roll back the creator update as you had no problem prior to the update.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help any ways. Any one else have any Ideas? This issue also goes away in safe mode. It also goes away if I mirror my main display with my secondary display.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Both Monitors are connected to my ATI R9 270.
This issue also goes away in safe mode. It also goes away if I mirror my main display with my secondary display
That still makes me suspect a driver issue.
Unfortunately all my computers are using nVidia video cards so I have nothing on hand to duplicate or otherwise diagnose your particular issue.

Most top teir Video Card drivers have their own interface to configure multiple displays.
You might want to try experimenting with those settings, some are more robust than others.
Additionally, I've personally had a bit of trouble occasionally with settings relating to anything "3D" and I will typically turn those off to the extent possible.

Reaction score
@Trouble I used the ati control panel to mirror the displays. When I tried to extend the display it opened the windows display settings window. I set the monitors to extend and the issue went away for a day. I rebooted my computer and it has come back.

Reaction score
The Creators Update has caused all sorts of problems on people's computers. The suggestion to roll back to before the CU is a sound one. I had issues with CU and rolled back. Issues gone. As stated many others have had issues with CU.

Ask a Question