crazy lines on laptop

Reaction score
when I turn on pc in the morning I have all colored horizontal lines on my laptop screen... I mess with them all day till finally they are gone. can someone tell me whats going on... I have a HP Laptop windows 10. thanks

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Roz, welcome to the forums.

When you say that you mess with them all day and then they go, what do you mean? It would help if you can upload a photo of what the lines look like please (via your camera/phone, rather than a screenshot) - it may help us identify the type of problem.

Does this problem occur from the moment you turn the laptop on - i.e. do you see the lines when you get your boot logo, or only when you are in Windows? This will help guide us further.

My guesses would be either:
  • Damaged display ribbon cable in the laptop - particularly if the lines change if you move the laptop.
  • Driver problem (try updating to the latest graphics drivers - if you let us know the model number, we can help find them).
  • Overheating can occasionally cause graphical corruption, particularly on laptops. Try making sure all of your vents are clean with a gentle vacuum.
  • Hardware fault.

Reaction score
Horizontal lines are in general a problem with the display itself. The TFT lines have minimal to no contact when cold but making contact when warmed up. You might be able to get a new display for a little money. I just replaced a Display on a Lenovo 15" Laptop. The screen cost me $25 and it took only 15 minutes to change it.....

Ask a Question