Please help crazy boot problem!!

Reaction score
IL try to make this short. 1st off... I'm a mechanic not a pc wiz. Here is the long story short. I bought a pretty built dell xps 8700 desktop to play diablo 3 when it came out. This pc had windows 8. I really really hated how it booted to tiles and not to desktop (used to Windows xp) so I did some research and hacked it sorta by changing the boot to screen.. I got it to boot to the library folder... I let it at that as it was better than tiles boot. Fast forward to a week ago. Now I'm wanting to play Rust. So I'm dusting off my pc. Updating and upgrading. First thing i did was upgrade to free Windows 10. This is where my issue starts. Thinking that move would start me fresh...undo my boot to hack. It did not. When I boot up now in w10. It goes to login (which I have bypassed now) then to desktop.. BUT. it lags forever then brings up file explorer. Like it's trying to boot directly to file explorer... I feel my changes in Windows 8 caused this. I've looked all over.. can't find a fix. I really don't want to have to downgrade back to w8. Fix it there (because I don't know how... was WAY over my head in the first place) and then back to w10... please someone help. Thanks! BTW rapom is mopar backwards...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

If you've only just upgraded to Windows 10 (within the last 30 days):
  • Click Start
  • Click Settings
  • Click Update & security
  • In the left pane click Recovery

You ought to now see an option to return to Windows 8

However, you may not need to go to such extremes to resolve the issue if in fact the issue you are experiencing is being caused by your previous tweak of the Windows 8 booting to avoid tiles and hit your Desktop instead.

If that is what you did then you had to modify the Shell in the Winlogon hive located here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon

If you did modify the Shell you probably changed its current value data: explorer.exe to
  • explorer.exe /select,explorer.exe
To correct this all you need to do is pop back and modify the Shell again:
  • In your search box type regedit | then press Enter key
  • Expand the hives in the left pane like so:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
>SOFTWARE
>Microsoft
>Windows NT
>CurrentVersion
>Winlogon​

• Left-click ONCE on the Winlogon to open its content in the right pane
  • In the right pane locate and right-click on Shell | then select Modify
  • The Value data box ought to have explorer.exe in it. If that is not there enter that now.
  • Click OK
  • Press F5 key to refresh the Registry
  • Close the Registry Editor window
  • Close any other open applications, browsers etcetera.
  • Restart your computer
This is what that Shell will look like when correctly set up for Windows 10:

Shell.png

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rapom, you're a Diablo 3 player? I've got 693 paragon points, and two of my characters have beaten the game on Torment 10!

Designed for Windows 7, D3 plays equally well on 7 and 8. I had my rig partitioned with XP, 7, and 8, and it played the same on both 7 and 8. I upgraded 7 to 10 and had some problems, though.

I had to go to Device Manager and find my video card. When I worked my way to the Events tab, it said that my driver had not installed completely. Re-installing it solved most of my problems. However, D3 also has a problem locking up in The Desolate Sands (in Caldeum) on Windows 10. I can't solve the problem.

Now, playing a high-tech game like D3 on a laptop might be a bad idea. You have 1/6 the inside space, only one cooling vent, and a smaller fan than a tower. At least use something to raise the back corners--that will lower the temperature about 10 degrees F.

Reaction score
Reg32. I tried your method. Every step you said I followed to a t. Perfect directions! Thank you for that! Only issue... it was already set up correctly. I had nothing to change. Explorer .exe was in there already. Not sure what I did back in w8.. also I downloaded steam from a not so credited site (I'm a noob yes) and got POUNDED with adware. And viruses. Was up till 5am fixing that. I'm now downloading it from steampowered.com.. but back to it booting to file explorer.. I have no clue...

Regedit32

Reaction score
Only issue... it was already set up correctly.

Hi,

I had a feeling the Shell would be fine which was why in my original post I said, "...if in fact the issue you are experiencing is being caused by your previous tweak...". It would in fact be highly unusual for a fresh Windows installation to inherit such a modification; but nothing is beyond the realms of possibilities.

It does help that you have now informed the Forum that you downloaded Steam from a non official site, and as a result had your System infected with malware, and possibly a virus. In such a case there are numerous options to help clean your System, which in turn may see a rapid improvement in your operating system's performance.

It would help if you inform the forum what precisely you did till 5 am.
  • Did you download and install anti virus programs, anti-malware programs? If yes, what did you install?
  • Did you all ready have an antivirus program installed so only had to download updated definitions? If yes, what antivirus application is running?
  • Likewise did you all ready have anti-malware applications installed which needed updating?
  • Have you been manually editing your Windows Registry based on articles you may have read online re your alleged malware, adware, virus infection? If yes, what specifically did you modify and how?
  • Have you attempting to use Windows built in utilities like:
    • System File Checker
    • Check Disk
    • Malicious Removal Tool (MRT.exe)
    • Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM)

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
As far as downloading steam in read online that steams does not have an installer on the site and you have to use a 3rd party. (Hours later I see what I read was 4 years old) got me! But I did a search for "steam download" clicked the first link. I did not realize that the word steampowered.com was misspelled.. it was a trap. So a few days ago when I upgraded to w10. I downloaded from cnet. Malwarebytes. AVG. CCleaner, revo uninstaller.. all free versions. I'm good about staying safe. All programs up to date. Wajam was the worst. Could not uninstall it. Even if you end processs you still can't remove it.. I downloaded another program... can't remember the name. It killed it. This program is no longer in my pc.. it was a one time use thing. Started with adw... something.

Ask a Question