SOLVED Driving me crazy...

Reaction score
Hi, I hope you can help :(

Yesterday I installed Windows 10 home on a clean (new) hard drive.
So far I'm unhappy with it. I am used to XP and think it looked much better than this. Also I find it very irritating to have to enter a password each time I want to access my PC as though it's Fort Knox .
It wastes my time.

But the biggest problem I'm having ATM is that all of a sudden this OS won't allow me to use my ISP.
This is after I had installed the software via the USB connection which is the way I access my ISP, and then long after I went online to do what I needed to do.

Windows 10 thus far doesnt recognize ANY of the applications or software that I use, which is irritating. But I tapp yes to proceed regardless of whether the thing is verified by Windows or not as I know the software well enough, and anyway I am the administrator of my own PC not Windows10.
I have checked that the software is compatible with windows 10.

But now I get this repeated annoying window pop up to say the administrator has denied me access to using this app (my isp app) as it is 'not trusted'. Please contact the administrator for more information.
Are they nuts??
I AM the administrator of my own PC. Nobody else. I am forced to enter a password each time to access my own computer and am even identified as administrator on this PC.
But it will not let me use my ISP app anymore.

Then after trying everything, windows 10 suggests I go online for further help!!!
So; Windows 10 prevents me from using my ISP app (which it allowed me to use all morning) but then the next time I tried to go online windows 10 suddenly decided that it now cannot trust this ISP app and insists I go online for further help!!! :mad::mad::mad::(
It's insanity.

I wish I'd never purchased Windows 10. I'm now using an iPad and thinking maybe I should've gone Mac, but really I wish I could have stayed with good ole reliable XP which never ever gave me any crap at all. Not even once!

Please can you help?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you contacted your ISP to see if they might have an updated version of the application?
You're likely going to find a whole host of applications that worked on Windows XP that may not work well if at all on Windows 10

Reaction score
Thanks, but the point is that I used this self same ISP app all morning to connect to the internet without a hitch. So clearly it works with windows10.

What persuaded this OS to suddenly decide against it is a mystery.
If it needed a newer version then why didn't it have a problem to start with??
I don't need to be told that: The Administrator has decided to block the use of this App... please connect to the Internet for help.

Futhermore the OS correctly identifies the app as an Internet connection device, so it's completely illogical. I thought computers OS were logical. XP certainly was logical.

I really used to love Windows, but this OS 10 is a huge dissapointment.

Do you think that if I tried to uninstall it and start again from scratch it would make a difference?
Anyone?...

Reaction score
Have you contacted your ISP to see if they might have an updated version of the application?
You're likely going to find a whole host of applications that worked on Windows XP that may not work well if at all on Windows 10

I beg your pardon, I have since found out that this D-link dongle is not compatible with windows 10. So strange that it worked without a glitch all morning....

Could you perhaps answer another question - regarding the desktop appearance.
The default icons have a weird clumpy look, as it looked in XP Safe Mode. Big unrefined, clumpy looking icons. Is this normal?
I have a Radeon HD 5830 graphics card.
Am not sure if this also doesn't work with windows 10?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thank you so much!

That's a relief... at least my graphics card is compatible. Although I still can't figure out why the desktop icons look so tacky.
Such a surprise to find this. Really, Im not being sarcastic when I say XP desktop looked better. My windows 10 looks inferior and I can't believe this is the way it should look.
I'm hoping there is a way to improve things somehow...

I'm also happy to have found the thread where you explained how to get past the infuriating password login.
Many thanks :)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Checker your driver version, if you are not running 15.7.1 then you may need to install it.
If you are then you may need to adjust your screen resolution.
For users looking for a WHQL certified driver, the AMD Catalyst™ 15.7.1 driver will continue to be available for users running Windows® 10, Windows® 8.1, and Windows® 7. Users running Windows® Vista and older Microsoft® operating systems can use the AMD Catalyst™ 13.12 driver. These drivers are available for download on the Drivers + Download Center page

Reaction score
Um, seeing as you are clearly knowledgeable - may I ask you're opinion about my monitor?
I have an HP Pavillion 22" flat screen with crystal display monitor (LCD) with TFT screen.
It has always given me a perfect display.

Do you think my monitor might be incompatible with this Radeon HD graphics card and windows 10?

Appologies if this is a dumb question. But I am so puzzled as to why things look worse, not better with the system upgrade.

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you think my monitor might be incompatible with this Radeon HD graphics card and windows 10?
Nope. flat panel LCDs or LEDs for the most part are pretty dumb animals you set them for 60Hz and they take what you give them. There are some very rare occasions where I have seen a monitor require a driver, I have no idea why, perhaps for some software interface package giving you basically what the OSD give you except via software, IDK.
You may google and see if hp has a "driver", but I wouldn't think so.

Reaction score
Further on the monitor. Are you connecting via HDMI? If so generally the HDCP negotiation will tell the graphics card what it needs to know about resolution and scan rate and IF the HDMI cable is good ...which is by no means guaranteed, the monitor will just work.

Sounds as if the system has decide to run in a non-native resolution. Running a modern flat panel at 1024*768 or some non-standard resolution will do that.

Reaction score
Thanks!

No, I just have my existing cable as the guy at the computer shop said he thought my old cable would be OK, as I did not know whether my monitor was HDMI compatible or not.
He seemed to think not...

The HP web page says this monitor is HDCP - forgive my ignorance but I still don't know if this means it's HDMI compatible or not.
I will gladly get a new cable if its compatible. As it is I had to use a cable adaptor to plug my existing cable into this graphics card.

Reaction score
Sounds as if the system has decide to run in a non-native resolution. Running a modern flat panel at 1024*768 or some non-standard resolution will do that.

This certainly seems likely... as the screen looks dull and extremely basic. Like XP looked when running in Safe Mode.

Reaction score
Checker your driver version, if you are not running 15.7.1 then you may need to install it.

Is this the graphics driver I should check? I dont know which driver it is and am wondering how to check this... Perhaps the driver will be listed under the specifications, I will go back and look for it.

Reaction score
I looked at an image of the Radeon 5830 it shows 2 DVI sockets at the bottom and then 1 HDMI and 1 Displayport connector above it. Ideally you should have a cable that uses the HDMI socket and goes to an identical socket on the monitor.

HDCP is the protocol used to connect displays to a signal source over HDMI

Reaction score
I cant find anything on the monitor itself, or even in the online specs that tells me this monitor is HDMI compatible. Perhaps it is not... I don't know.
Ive been very happy with its display but it isn't the latest flat screen model.
I will try to see if the HDMI cable works.

Thank you Tim :)

Reaction score
If the monitor has an HDMI connector then it is compatible. If it has a DVI connector , as does your graphics card, DVI should work well as well DVI is HDMI without the copyright stuff and without sound.

Do you have Catalyst installed? The software that can control and set up Radeon cards...I think it may have a different name now. Trouble suggested earlier that 15.7.1 is the driver and there is a version of Catalyst. Don't be put off if you have to install the Catalyst control centre stuff in compatibility mode or run its setup as an administrator...hopefully you'll have to do neither and it will just work and you will be able to set up your Radeon properly.

I am a bit unhelpful here as all our machines are Nvidia which has its own control software to show how it is all working.

Reaction score
Mmmm, OK. Ive not heard of Catalyst, I will look out for it.

I did visit the Radeon web page today. I took their option of having my card checked to see if it required any updates. The analysis came back that I already had the latest driver. So it was as Trouble predicted above.

I need to find out how to identify the various connectors... and which HDMI or DVI?
My monitor does have a different ports/slots, so maybe there's hope yet ;)

Reaction score
I haven't owned a Radeon vid card for some years, theye were called ATI back then. IIRC Catalyst was on the CD that came in the box with the card and was automatically installed.

What do you get if you right click on the screen? do you get the old pop-up with display settings? In the pop-up do you see a program name you could click? Example: I see various things including Display settings ( which does little) and I see Nvidia control centre. I'd hope you might see something similar but for your graphics card. If you do, click on it!

Reaction score
The one marked HDMI is HDMI and the other is DVI.
hdmi-female-connector.jpg

DVI-Connector.jpg

Reaction score
I do have that pop up list, but strangely enough nothing is listed for the Radeon card.
I searched around everywhere but it's almost as if it doesn't exist.
I even began to wonder if the OS had even recognized the card but eventually I saw the card identified in a small window somewhere under Device Manager I think. But it didn't have any display settings available, other than the windows desktop options.

Ask a Question