SOLVED Am I overdriving my CPU?

Reaction score
and is that a bad thing?

When I'm running HandBrake, converting .avi videos to play on my Kindle, I notice in Task Manager Performance view that it's running 99 to 100% of the CPU. That window also says:
Maximum speed 3.60 GHz
Sockets 1
Cores 4
Logical processors 8
Virtualization: enabled
L1 cache: 256 KB
L2 cache: 1.0 MB
L3 cache: 8.0 MB

Under the 60 second screen it says:
Utilization: 100%
Speed: 3.71 GHz
Processes: 116
Threads: 2067
Handles: 156000

Those last two (threads and handles) vary slightly and continuously while it's working. It appears to my non-technical brain that since 3.71 (sometimes 3.75) is higher than 3.60 that the program is driving the CPU faster than its maximum speed. Is this a problem? Should I try to slow HandBrake down by using a slower setting then "normal"? Thanks.

(The machine is a Dell XPS 8700, Intel core i7 7490 CPU @ 3.60 GHz, 24 GB RAM, Win 10 (x64) (build 10586)

Reaction score
The i7 4790 runs at 3.6ghz and boosts to 4ghz. Running at 100% is not going to harm the cpu. I've run Prime95 which maxes out your cpu, to test overclock stability, for over 24 hours straight. Heat is the only thing you need to be concerned about. Max temp is 72 C. If it's stable and within temperatures, it's doing what it's supposed to.

BTW, that's a top of the line, consumer CPU that's one generation old. It's meant to handle a load.

Edit: Also, when the CPU boosts, not all threads will boost. I have an AMD CPU that boosts, and there's also multiple stages of boost. Mine runs 3.5ghz, and boosts to 3.8 and 4.1, depending on what's needed. Like I said, if it's not overheating, and it's stable, it's no issue.

Last edited:
Reaction score
What you are witnessing is probably a slight bump in frequency by use of "Turbo Boost".

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0
Higher Performance When You Need It Most

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.01 accelerates processor and graphics performance for peak loads, automatically allowing processor cores to run faster than the rated operating frequency if they’re operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits. Whether the processor enters into Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 and the amount of time the processor spends in that state depends on the workload and operating environment.

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. Since it only runs that fast an hour or so at a time, several times a week, I won't worry about it. Can you recommend an app to monitor the temperature?

Reaction score
Piriform Speccy is a good little application for many details about a system. The core temps is only a tid bit of what the application is capable of.

If you want something more specific, I can look around for you. (Such as http://www.cputhermometer.com/)

sp-screen.png

Last edited:

Ask a Question