Task Manager Saying CPU at 100%

Reaction score
I'm getting the task manager saying my CPU is at 100%. But when I check the 4 cores usage with MSI manager, they are at 5% or so. Seems tasks that should take little CPU are using much more than normal, according to Task Manager. There is no overheating.

Any idea why? Not sure if related, but I had a Killer Network app show up on there, but it is now gone.

I did re-boot and same thing.

Thanks.

CPU - i7 6700K
Board - Z170A M3 Gaming
RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
OS - Windows 10 Pro 1803; Build 17134.345
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1050

Last edited:
Reaction score
Killer Network is a program related to your ethernet adapter. As long as you have the proper drivers installed then Killer Networks is just bloatware. I had it installed when I first built my new system. It came on the DVD disc with my Gigabyte motherboard. All Killer Networks did was cause issues with my internet connection including slow downs. It's quite possible that program is using a lot of your CPU cycles. You can get rid of it as long as you have the proper drivers installed for your ethernet card.

Reaction score
Did you upgrade to 1809? There's a bug with the task manager not showing correct usage.

Reaction score
No, the issue is in 1809, which Microsoft pulled a day after release. I haven't seen the issue myself, but some have been reporting it. Not sure why that's happening in 1803. Does it show in the task manager what supposedly is using all your CPU? I would trust MSI Afterburner or something like HWiNFO64 more than Windows built in utility.

Reaction score
No, the issue is in 1809, which Microsoft pulled a day after release. I haven't seen the issue myself, but some have been reporting it. Not sure why that's happening in 1803. Does it show in the task manager what supposedly is using all your CPU? I would trust MSI Afterburner or something like HWiNFO64 more than Windows built in utility.

Seems just the usual apps that suddenly are apparently using up the CPU, like Killer Networks, Firefox, even Task Manager, things that are definitely not pushing the limits of the CPU.

Reaction score
There are several things which can make your processor work hard. The other day I went to a website recommended from a Microsoft site and my processor went to 100%. In that case the utilization was showing correctly on Task Manager but the column below it only showed 5%. So something not shown there was at fault.

You might try opening the Resource Monitor to see if it shows more info.

In my case, there was heating so I know the Task Manager large number was correct.

Ask a Question