Windows 10 100% disk usage in Task Manager

Reaction score
Hi,
i have dell inspiron 15 , 5000 series , OS is windows 10 64 bit.

Recently i had a problem at the laptop:
Disk utilization is quite constant at 100% even though no program runs parallel and there is no traffic between the hard disk and the external device.
I searched in Google for solutions and found this issue quite common in Windows 10. I tried all the options from the solutions offered in the links but without any success :
1. https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledg...manager-improve-pc-performance-on-windows-10/
2. https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/100-disk-usage-windows-10.html

I also tried to run a disk repair on Windows 10 and even "Reset to default" of the windows which means getting clean operating system - deleting all the files that I had and that did not help either.
Still after booting the computer and during work the disk utilization is 100% fand the computer is very very slow.
Do you have a solution?
Is the hard disk malformed and is this what causes windows to show 100% disk utilization ?

Attachments

• 100 percent disk usage.jpg
    100 percent disk usage.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 746
Reaction score
You appear to be showing Chrome (5 pages) is using most of the drive time. What happens if you shut down Chrome?

I have been on Microsoft sites where I got high processor usage whenever I hit the site. I suspect Adobe but not certain.

If you open the Resource Monitor, you might be able to filter the information and get a better idea of what is happening..

Reaction score
if you deactivate your virus software, is it still doing it??
I see you have AVG installed. I have seen this being responsible for many problems, especially if you have it already for quite some time...

Reaction score
Chrome was the only thing using the drive in your attachment. If it is still happening, what is showing now?

If you are not seeing something is Task Manager, open the Resource Monitor (resmon.exe in run box) and check there. Using the Disk Tab should allow you to filter the listings and see exactly what is happening. If you can't tell what is happening, get us a picture using the snipping tool and attach.

You have rebooted and the same situation started before you opened any utilities?

Reaction score
Download the free version of Malwarebytes and run it. Sounds to me that you might have malware on your computer. If this doesn't work then download the test software from the company website that made your hard drive. Then run it. Might be a failing hard drive.

Ask a Question