Converting MBR to GPT

Reaction score
If it is complaining about the drive being MBR then you are using a UEFI version of the media.

Windows will install as Legacy only on MBR configured drives but it needs GPT for UEFI. It complains because there is at least one partition on the drive keeping it from converting it when necessary. Removing all other drives ensures one of those is not actually involved in the problem.

On the partitions page for the install, make sure which drive your are working on. The entire drive should show as unallocated space and then you chose to install Windows in that space. It will convert the drive and create the four partitions it uses which are referred to as Critical Partitions.

If you are still having problems, use you camera to take a picture of the Partition page during the install and attach, so we can see.

Reaction score
@Saltgrass I'm pretty sure I did boot install disk with bios set to UEFI but Windows complained about disk needing to be GPT. :confused: Maybe I got it wrong though. I was switching the bios back and forth quite a bit, trying to get back into Windows!

What I don't understand is, if Microsoft only want Windows 10 installing on GPT, why did it let me put it on as MBR in the first place! It doesn't make any sense. :(

BIOS/MBR is Legacy 32 Bit, and available to the people that may have proprietary software that won't run 64 Bit UEFI system. The option is still there, all new computer are coming 64 bit UEFI/GPT

Ask a Question