Network computers disappear after converting from wireless to ethernet

Reaction score
This is a very confusing situation. I only have two computers in our network, and both are connected to the network via wireless connections. I decided to run an ethernet cable so that I could get faster interconnection between the two. The moment I do that both computers vanish off the network.

What can be done to correct this ? Am I missing an obvious step?

Thanks

Reaction score
If you just added a single cable between the two computers then the networking will just stop working. Windows "prefers" Ethernet if both are connected and with a cable like that neither computer has an Ethernet connection. Connecting both computers to the router Ethernet instead of WiFi will speed up transfers.

If your cables are connected correctly then you should check that the ethernet adapters are enabled.

Right click the network icon at the bottom right which takes you to the network Status then scroll down to Network and sharing centre to see all the usefull stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the reply Mark Sorry, I forgot to mention that both computers are connected by ethernet through a router, so I actually do have a router - the same router that is used for the wireless connection.

Reaction score
OK then check if the ethernet adapters are enabled. The Network and Sharing centre should show that they are working.

Reaction score
Yes, both adapters are working. When plugging in the ethernet cable, the wireless adapters are disabled, and the ethernet adapter is automatically turned on. In fact both computers are able to communicate with the internet without problems, and even the printers appear in the network. I just can't access the computers. It's absolutely ridiculous that this should be happening.

I also have a Mac on the network which manages to communicate with all computers - no problems! It's just the two Windows computers that won't talk to each other over the ethernet, but will talk to each other over the wireless. Crazy!

Ask a Question