Couldn't Mount File

Reaction score
WINDOWS10 PROBLEMS

I have a 2 TB Western Digital external hard drive that I use on both my computer and my wife’s computer (she is on Windows7 64-bit) to periodically do a Windows Image Backup and create a Repair Disc for each machine. I have no problem doing one for her computer nor did I have one when I was on Windows7.

It took a while and some research but I finally figured out how to do the Windows Image Backup for Windows 10. It lets me create both the Repair Disc and put the System Image Backup on the external hard drive. My procedure to do this is as follows:

1. Right click on Windows10 symbol
  2. Left click on Control Panel
  3. Left click on File History
  4. Click on System Image Backup (bottom left corner)
  5. Click on Create a System Repair Disc and follow on-screen instructions(this could take 3-4 hours for the backup to complete to a USB external drive)

I have no problem accessing the System Image Backup for her machine using my Windows 10 computer but I cannot seem to access the backup I made for my Windows 10 machine. The file, from it's size, is apparently on the drive but, When I try to open it, I get the following message: This is probably simple but so am I. And I'm old and need help.

Couldn’t Mount File X

The disk image isn’t initialized, contains partitions that aren’t recognizable, or contains volumes that haven’t been assigned drive letters. Please use the Disk Management snap-in to make sure that the disk, partitions, and volumes are in a usable state.

_____________________________________________________ OK box to click is here

I have no idea what that means nor could I find anything about Disc Management Snap-in. I’m an old guy (76) and not very computer oriented. I need help, please as I consider doing periodic backups of both computers to be critical.

Reaction score
When you create a System Image Backup it puts the images for different computer names in the same folder. The fact you are mixing a Windows 7 image and a Windows 10 image in the same folder may have some effect but I have never tried. I like to keep my images separated by at least a different partition.

It lets me create both the Repair Disc and put the System Image Backup on the external hard drive.
Maybe I misunderstand this statement, but you are not creating the Recovery drive on the external 2 TB are you?

There are two way to mount an image backup. The first is right click on the .vhxd file and select mount. Ignore the error message and open Disk Management and assign the mounted image a drive letter.

The second way is to use Disk Management to Attach to the .vhdx file and then assign a letter.

It is important, when you dismount the image, that you use the options in Disk Management (left end of listing) to Detach the image. I have seen corruption being caused in the image if that is not done correctly.

To open Disk Management type Diskmgmt.msc in a run box or right click the Start button and select.

Last edited:

Ask a Question