Dagnabbit!!

Reaction score
My backup computer developed a couple of issues that I couldn't seem to correct. Device manager showed "an unknown USB device (configuration descriptor request failed). Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43)". I didn't know if it was related or not but it took 2 minutes for the computer to boot up or reboot. I fiddled with it for a couple of days but couldn't get a handle on anything. I also discovered that the 2 USB ports on the front of my computer case were no longer working but the ports on the back of the motherboard were functioning. I put in an empty hard drive and set up a fresh install of Windows 10 and the same problems were present so that seemed to eliminate Windows as the culprit.

Finally came to the conclusion that the motherboard was the cause and decided to replace it (older LGA 1150 board). Ordered a new one from Newegg. After the order was processed I was still considering the problem and I vaguely remembered seeing something about disconnecting the power and pulling the battery on a laptop with the same problem I was having. On a whim I opened device manager and uninstalled the unknown device, shut down the computer and pulled the power cord for a minute or so. Plugged the cord back in and lo and behold the computer booted normally in just a few seconds and the unknown device no longer appeared in device manager. I booted and rebooted several times and the problem has not returned and the front panel USB ports are now working. Too late to change or cancel the Newegg order so I now have a new motherboard on the way that I apparently won't need.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Send it to me, just watch out for the dog :D

GuardDog.jpg

Ask a Question