SOLVED Doesn't anyone know how to reduce display scale of everything to 50% or less?

Reaction score
Man, I've been scouring the net for an answer to this one! Okay, the mobo on my main Win 10 desktop computer is broke and I can't afford to replace it yet. So I'm trying to use my Toshiba Satellite laptop running 64-bit Windows 10 Pro (an older version than I thought: 1909). I can't easily read the built-in laptop display, so I connected it via HDMI to my HDTV @ 1920x1080 60hz, which technically works fine (barring an unrelated issue I won't raise here) -- except for everything on the screen being humongous!

I've tried setting up the HDTV display as a clone, or an extended display, or as a single, standalone display, but the only change I can make to the items on the display is to make them bigger still (with the exception of the desktop icons, which I can reduce using "{Desktop Context Menu} -> View -> Small icons"). For example, Windows' Display Scaling can only be set to 100% or more. But I want it set to 50% or less! How can I do that?

I'm a knowledgeable user and understand that, theoretically, the Intel HD Graphics 4000 control panel can be used to change the display scale (or aspect ratio or to custom resolutions), but I can't get any of them to actually do what I need; everything stays at 100% scaling or more.

Does anyone have any suggestions to try? How about some registry settings? I already have the latest drivers (for everything). Thanks!

Ask a Question