DVD Drivews not recognized by Windows

Reaction score
I have a PLDS DVD +- RW DH16A6S installed in a Windows 10 desktop and Windows will not properly recognize the DVD Drive. In fact, none of the operating systems I have installed on this computer cannot read or write to the DVD Drive

My computer has as ASRock H470 Phantom Gaming 4. It has Corsair16.0GB Single-Channel Unknown @ 1063MHz (15-15-15-36) It has an MSI 8192MB ATI Radeon RX 570 Series (MSI), Graphics Card. It runs Windows 10 Pro X64, Linux Mint 20 Ulyana Cinnamon and Ubuntu Studio 20.04. It has an IEEE1394 PCI-E Card installed, it runs fine, It has a 4 port PCIE SATA card, it runs fine and I have Sound Card installed in PCI port and it works fine

This what Speccy has to say about the DVD Drive
Media Type DVD Writer
Name PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S
Availability Running/Full Power
Capabilities Random Access, Supports Writing, Supports Removable Media
Read capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM, DVD-RAM, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL
Write capabilities CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R DL, DVD+R DL
Config Manager Error Code Device is working properly
Config Manager User Config FALSE
Drive D:
Media Loaded FALSE
SCSI Bus 0
SCSI Logical Unit 0
SCSI Port 2
SCSI Target Id 2
Status OK

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Have you checked the cables to and from it....to make sure the sata power/data cables are firmly seated? With all those PCIe cards....did they come with the PC or did you install them at a later date? What PSU does it have? Does the DVD drive show up in file explorer? Does it show up in device manager? Does it show up in disk management?

Reaction score
Yes it shows up in disk Management, but I have CD of Music in the drive and it says no media I have a Intel Core i3 10100. I would be posting screen shots here but i have no way to do so, because when I press print screen. nothing happens.

Reaction score
Pressing the PrntScrn key sends the data to the Clipboard, makes it available to programs. It can hold several things so press the Windows key + the V key to see the contents. The PrntScrn key will activate the Snippy or Snip & Sketch app to let you select a portion of the screen.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I would be posting screen shots here but i have no way to do so, because when I press print screen. nothing happens.
Use the snipping tool or the windows key + print screen to capture screen shots. Then look in file explorer, pictures folders for the screen shots. A new folder will be created, called screen shots.

Reaction score
Right at this moment over on Linux Mint and I am downloading some file, longest one has 1 Hr 37 minutes left to download.
And yes it open in file explorer, but does nothing but open the disk draw when i click open, and it gives me no other options. When I am my downloads I will go back over to Windows

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would replace the sata cable first off. At least that will eliminate that as an issue. Also try using a different sata port on the motherboard and see if that helps. Have you tried the dvd rw in another PC? It almost sounds like the drive may be failing. I've had quite a few go bad, and they've all started acting odd before they failed.

Reaction score
I replaced both SATA cables to MB 3 Times, and I have tried different ports.
I have seriously considered my DVD/CD drive might just done for and have looked on Ebay for replacemnts.

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I replaced both SATA cables to MB 3 Times, and I have tried different ports.
I have seriously considered my DVD/CD drive might just done for and have looked on Ebay for replacemnts.
Don't buy used....you can get a brand new one for $20....give or take.
There you go.....

Reaction score
As Wolfie suggests, before you spend any money. I am looking at this in your first post
"Media Loaded FALSE"

Ask a Question