Excessive Number of TMP Folders on My C: Drive

Reaction score
I have 3,239 folders with a TMP extension in my "...system32...local" folder. The folders are all dated 9/28/2020 and they are empty. If I try to delete them by dragging them to the trash can or try I run into problems. When I view my update history the earliest update listed was on 9/29/2020.

Are these TMP folder necessary and if not, how can I safely delete them?

Reaction score
Tmp files that are not easily deleted are likely files that are in use, system files, or damaged files.

Leave them alone. If the files are empty, they aren't taking up much space on your hard disk. You can probably delete at least some of them if you work hard enough (e.g., trying to delete them right after booting up in Safe Mode), but you COULD waste a lot of time and, worse, cause a serious problem you are not experiencing now.

If your computer is working okay, and the files aren't causing you a problem, just leave them be.

Reaction score
You should have some kind of software to run a disk cleanup. Just type "disk cleanup windows (insert version number)" on your browser and go to the Microsoft page that explains how to do it. Don't get suckered into paying for something. This is built into your operating system software. This should fix you right up and doesn't involve 3rd party software.

Reaction score
I had a large number of TMP files on my computer taking up a huge amount of space. They kept being written. I tried deleting them, but finally went for a reinstall which is now much easier than it used to be as all files and programs are retained and just the Windows files/folders are replaced. Does not sound like your problem. I agree with the previousl responders.

Reaction score
Run the built in "disk clean-up" It is in the Admin folder in the startup menu. When starting, click the option to clean system files as well. It will not remove any essential Temp folders but will empty most

Reaction score
I don't have an Admin folder in my startup menu. Can you tell me where I can find it?

Reaction score
I don't have an Admin folder in my startup menu. Can you tell me where I can find it?
I don't either, Admin usually applies to the type of User of the computer. There are 2 types of accounts, one with administrative rights and a standard account. The standard account can't make as many changes to the computer and the first user created at install of Windows has or should have admin rights. In Settings go to Accounts or in Control Panel go to Users to check.

Reaction score
I am always logged in as Local Account Administrator.
Me, too. Finally had my only Microsoft Account computer start coming apart at 7 years, literally when the power switch broke out of the case front panel [that's plastics for you].

Reaction score
Go to the control panel, not settings. The last choice should be User Accounts. Click to open it, you should have the option to "Change your account type" click on it to see what it says. It should be self-explanatory about becoming the administrator if you aren't already. Make sure you have your Microsoft account password ready to use. If you need more help or questions, just post them here.

Reaction score
In Win10, Settings is on the right-click of the Windows Start button as well on the Start menu.

In Win11, Control Panel works if typed into the Search on the Taskbar, many things are on the Settings on right-click of the Start button, gives the appearance the Control Panel is on the way out.

Ask a Question