Update download excessive size and performance

Reaction score
The windows update download process started today but the PC performance became abysmal. Up to 50% CPU was being used by 'System Interrupts' and almost any other action (including keyboard entry became unusable.
In addition ethernet activity shows as more than 4.5gb and still climbing. More worryingly there has been more than 78mb of upload (are there excessive transmission errors?)

As I have 2 machines will this whole process have to be performed again? This would be a very large proportion of my monthly limit. Is there any way of saving the download to transfer to the other machine (one was a clean install and the other migrated from Win 7)?

Reaction score
Set your connections as metered even your ethernet. then let Windows update find new updates.It will not download as long as you hit the button [download]. Then write down the KB number and go to the catalog:
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx
and search for those updates and download. that way you have to do it only once and can install the updates on both computers. (that is how I do it although I do not have a volume limit)

Reaction score
Ditto
Also, you have a much better chance of getting an error free download, many failures to complete download and Install of Updates are resolved by downloading the update from the Catalog and installed manually
And best of all you get to do it when you are ready, have the time to pay attention, at your own direction this is a big deal for me. I prefer to have full control of my computers.:) .

Reaction score
Do be careful in the Catalog, there may be 2 or more choices. Half will be for 32-bit or 64-bit and there may be Delta choices which are for computers that are otherwise fully up to date. If one has skipped an update don't use the Delta. And some will be for other versions of Win10 such as Servers.

Reaction score
Thanks thor these answers although I understand that getting an ethernet connection to be 'metered' is not that easy.
However, the systems on the 2 machines are have different sources so were (are?) different builds, will the same update work on both?

Reaction score
it depends. If you have anything newer than the creators update then it will be easy. Simply go to settings -> Network and Internet and click on [Ethernet]. click on the listed conection and you will see this:

2017-12-02_111102.jpg

anything before the creators upgrade has to be done in the registry....

the picture above shows my Ethernet connection (despite it is named 5GHz)

Ask a Question