SOLVED 5.5 hours into the Windows 10 Update Assistant download and only at 1%, how big is the download?

Reaction score
I tried downloading the latest version of Windows 10 yesterday with that Windows 10 Update Assistant and got repeated error messages of Something went Wrong (well, duh), and an error code of 0x80072ee2.

And the download takes so much bandwidth that I can only open one webpage at a time. So I can't really continue working as it says I can.

And now it has been running for five and a half hours and it says it has downloaded 1 percent. By my calculations that means it will take 20 days to download this thing. Oh, frak. I just got another 0x80072ee2 error. And it looks like it's starting over from the beginning. I just lost 5.5 hours of time. Wow!

I'm not techie. You lose me at the mention of a registry file. I don't want to be solving Microsoft's problems. So how do I get updated to the latest version without using the Windows 10 Update Assistant?

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. There was no option to stop or cancel the download on the screen that I had from Windows 10 Update Assistant. It finished downloading last night about 7pm. It downloaded for ten (10) days. It used up my allocated high speed (at least that is what the ISP calls it) for March and also for April. It ran for days and got to 67%, then started over from the beginning and that's when it wiped out my allocation for this month. I get ten Gig per month. And then it took six hours to install the update. So I will be down to about 800 baud speed for the rest of the month, if you are old enough to know what that means. You can pretty much read the screen as it displays, row by row of pixels.

And now after looking at what MS claims to be great enhancements, I don't find anything that helps with the speed of how the computer runs or the speed of internet access. Nothing that will help with how I use the computer. And all my settings in Word have changed back to where I can't read the verbiage again. It took months the last time this happened for me to figure out how to change that. I didn't know I was going to have to start a database on how to fix the problems MS causes every time it updates but I guess I have to. Frak!

And now I have to open a ticket to find out how to change the verbiage in Word. I can't get the Word Help option to work, it says the link is broken.

MS the gift that keeps on giving.

Thanks for attempting to help. Sorry for the rant. I think with my next computer I will try a different operating system. If I have to do this much work, I might as well be learning something new rather than continually fixing problems.

Guess this can be marked as Solved. You need a button for Given Up and Moved On. :)

Ask a Question