Update Shananigans ... Again! (Downloaded But Not Installed)

Reaction score
Hi Everyone.

My first post and unfortunately it's one asking for help.

Every-time an update is rolled out I have major problems!

The last time it took me six months of searching, posting to forums and finagling to straighten it all out!
(The last update messed up my display settings)

This time is different but I fear .. it is going to be another six month adventure!

If you can see the following screen shots clearly then you can see that I have a problem!?

You'll notice the Awaiting Restart in the second screenshot?
I have tried restarting the computer (As it claims is needed) which accomplishes absolutely nothing!

That Awaiting Restart stays there and I am convinced that it is only there to "Drive Me Nuts"!
(I finally learned my lesson after the 8th or 9th 'restart!')

I've tried just about every tool known to help with these types of problems without success.
Any help will be much appreciated!

Should I delete all of these 'updates' and start anew?
(Will that help?)

I also receive this message when I run the troubleshooter which says that it (the troubleshooter) can't fix it ...
Potential Windows Update Database error detected

Downloaded Updates:

==================================

I just ran the windows update assistant.
My understanding is that if you have the latest update and it is running ... the tool will say "Thank You" and show no other updates?

Does that only mean that the update has been successfully downloaded but not necessarily installed?

I ask because as you can see in my screenshot below that I got the "Thank You" from the assistant but my update page still shows the "awaiting restart" to install update!?

I am totally confused??

Assistant Result

System Specs:
Windows 10 Home Desktop (x64)
LENOVO 90BG003JUS Lenovo H50-55
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7
ST2000DM001-1ER164 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB)
11212 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Windows 10 Home Desktop (x64)
LENOVO 90BG003JUS Lenovo H50-55
AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7
ST2000DM001-1ER164 [Hard drive] (2000.40 GB)
11212 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Hi Everyone.

My first post and unfortunately it's one asking for help.

Every-time an update is rolled out I have major problems!

The last time it took me six months of searching, posting to forums and finagling to straighten it all out!
(The last update messed up my display settings)

This time is different but I fear .. it is going to be another six month adventure!

If you can see the following screen shots clearly then you can see that I have a problem!?

You'll notice the Awaiting Restart in the second screenshot?
I have tried restarting the computer (As it claims is needed) which accomplishes absolutely nothing!

That Awaiting Restart stays there and I am convinced that it is only there to "Drive Me Nuts"!
(I finally learned my lesson after the 8th or 9th 'restart!')

I've tried just about every tool known to help with these types of problems without success.
Any help will be much appreciated!

Should I delete all of these 'updates' and start anew?
(Will that help?)

I also receive this message when I run the troubleshooter which says that it (the troubleshooter) can't fix it ...

Downloaded Updates:

==================================

I just ran the windows update assistant.
My understanding is that if you have the latest update and it is running ... the tool will say "Thank You" and show no other updates?

Does that only mean that the update has been successfully downloaded but not necessarily installed?

I ask because as you can see in my screenshot below that I got the "Thank You" from the assistant but my update page still shows the "awaiting restart" to install update!?

I am totally confused??

Assistant Result

Hi mrclose,

the update assistant shows you have the latest version of W10 (1709), you can look here for troubleshooting tips:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...lem-with/f66348f6-4987-4523-9bdb-15182babba5b

I hope it helps. :)

Reaction score
Hi mrclose,

the update assistant shows you have the latest version of W10 (1709), you can look here for troubleshooting tips:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027322/windows-update-troubleshooter

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...lem-with/f66348f6-4987-4523-9bdb-15182babba5b

I hope it helps. :)

That's the problem.
Assistant shows that I have the latest update but as can be seen on the update page ... all of the updates (except security) are waiting to be installed on startup which has worked!?

Deb

Reaction score
I have the same issue. KB4093112 (14) keeps failing. Also KB4088776 (17). They simply do not install although there are multiple attempts.

Reaction score
Welcome to my world. I gave up. The only fix is to install your backup. Mine is really old and I don't want to do that. Someone suggested to me that I just wait for the Spring Creator Update and install that and hopefully it wipes out all these updates that won't go away. I can't say won't install because one of them actually is installed and yet is still in the list.

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of folks are having this problem?
I'm giving up!

What's funny is that at one time I was searching for a way to stop automatic updates.

I discovered that you can't stop the updates on the home edition computers!
(Only on the pro and enterprise editions)

Looks like Microsoft has done for us what we couldn't do ourselves!;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've given up.

Pickup a used computer with an older version of Windows. Might not have all the "features" (aka bugs), but at least they're reliable, consistent, faster, friendlier, customizable.... Why would anyone actually WANT windows 10?!

If Windows 10 was as good as microsoft alleges....they wouldn't have to strong arm people into it, and prevent any return to an older version.

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of folks are having this problem?
I'm giving up!

What's funny is that at one time I was searching for a way to stop automatic updates.

I discovered that you can't stop the updates on the home edition computers!
(Only on the pro and enterprise editions)

Looks like Microsoft has done for us what we couldn't do ourselves!;)

You can stop it on Services with Home Edition. I've never tried and I'm not sure it won't just restart every time you turn your device on. But you're right. Now, I don't have to.

Reaction score
You can stop it on Services with Home Edition. I've never tried and I'm not sure it won't just restart every time you turn your device on. But you're right. Now, I don't have to.

Only delays it all.

I've tried that and every tool and work-a-round that others claim to work!

Eventually, upon shutdown (Or even without shutting down) the pc goes into update mode and you can't do a thing about it.

Foolishly, I even unplugged the pc when this happened only to find the pc would update when restarted!

The force is strong with this one!:(

Ask a Question