Exporting Contacts

Reaction score
A friend wants to add his contacts to his gmail account. By following the procedure to export and then import a csv file do the contacts still remain in Outlook. I'd hate to advise him and for him to lose everything. Or is there a copy contacts list feature instead

Reaction score
I've found the Import function of one program/app to another does not delete from the first but there's always a risk. With Outlook [don't know which version, I have 2000, 2007 and 2013 on computers] there should be a backup or Export function, I'd use that first then check what Gmail can work with . The C:\Users folder has a Contacts and may be empty, last I saw that used was with Outlook Express and its Address Book. Another thing with Outlook is to copy/backup/export the .pst and .ost files.

Reaction score
Thanks Bighorn, now I'm worried, think it best perhaps that I don't suggest it. I don't use Outlook myself and not sure what versions he has.

Reaction score
The level of worrisome does increase when working on another's computer. I'd suggest the owner start with the Export to .csv first.

Reaction score
That's what I thought, hopefully he wont lose his contacts from Outlook, if he does surely he'd be able to import the file back into Outlook.

Reaction score
Would going back to a restore point put the contact addresses back into Outlook if they did get deleted?

Reaction score
Don't count on it, have seen System Restore work only to get Windows working. A number of folks use a backup program such as Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect. Have seen where even Microsoft doesn't recommend the Backup and Restore (Windows 7) applet that is in Control Panel.

Ask a Question